Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blade style MAF on 02 Vortec?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 02:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blade style MAF on 02 Vortec?

Hey there,
Posted this in another forum but didn't get response.
What I want to do is weld in a MAF bung to my intake tubing and use one of the later model MAF sensors that screw in instead of using reducers / adapters.
I know the pinouts are different and that I'd likely need to build an adapter harness or move wires around in my MAF connector.
Are the signal characteristics the same, though? Would I need to retune the ECM to read the air mass correctly?
Old 02-02-2015, 02:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

yes anytime you change the maf you will need to retune. The calibration will be off from one type of sensor to the next. If you are using a 4" tube I also recommend a screen before the sensor as the blade types dont read well at all during low speed because the air flow is quite erratic
Old 02-02-2015, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 226 Likes on 179 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by redbird555
yes anytime you change the maf you will need to retune. The calibration will be off from one type of sensor to the next. If you are using a 4" tube I also recommend a screen before the sensor as the blade types don't read well at all during low speed because the air flow is quite erratic
Yes, I did a 4" tube CAI with a blade LS3 15865791 MAF and it could be smoother on sudden acceleration, you may be on to something there with the screen idea. How close would you estimate the screen needs to be to defuse the air before the MAF?
Old 02-02-2015, 10:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the factory screen elements are +- 1/2" from the MAF.
I'll file this away as a thing to do next time I need a flash for some reason. If it takes a flash and only serves to look pretty it's not worth it to me.

Quick Reply: Blade style MAF on 02 Vortec?