Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rough idle/low oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 08:59 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rough idle/low oil pressure

my car has acted a little odd the past two days, every now and then it will idle a little rough while in drive, and yesterday at idle while the car was in drive the oil pressure dropped below 40 almost to 30 psi which to me is alarming (I'm pretty sure that's really low) if I put the car in neutral the pressure goes back up pretty even to 40 psi and the rough idle goes away

anyone have ideas on what this could be, I know it could probably be a million things but I just want advice on what to check before I take it to a shop and they charge me 100 bucks just to tell me something is wrong
Old 03-03-2015, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 226 Likes on 179 Posts

30 at idle when warm is OK and it may have nothing to do with rough idle.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

My guess is when it's in drive and idling ruff the RPMs are lower than when it wasn't running ruff. Lower RPMs means lower oil pressure. That also explains why putting it in neutral (rpms go up) The oil pressure goes up. Find the reason for the rough idle and fix it and the oil pressure will hold steady like it used to.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
My guess is when it's in drive and idling ruff the RPMs are lower than when it wasn't running ruff. Lower RPMs means lower oil pressure. That also explains why putting it in neutral (rpms go up) The oil pressure goes up. Find the reason for the rough idle and fix it and the oil pressure will hold steady like it used to.
X2. There is nothing wrong with 30 pound oil pressure at idle. As stated you idle rpm is probably lower and the reason for the lower oil pressure.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:52 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok that's good to know, thanks for the info

Quick Reply: rough idle/low oil pressure