Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter dragging

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 07:45 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Starter dragging

I've got a 408 with 11.4:1 compression and the starter is the original from 99 so I'm sure it's tired. It started dragging a bit and has locked up a few times. I'm running Texas Speed long tubes so I'm sure that has something to do with it. Have any of you run into this? Would another stock starter die trying to turn this thing over? Is there a good aftermarket high torque starter?
Old 03-17-2015, 03:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

My 98 starter began to drag about a year ago until one day the starter housing snapped at the bolt boss. There are some users here who believe that the tired started combined with the older F-body started design lead to the housing failure. I got lucky because some folks break the threaded boss on the block...

My advice, replace it with the truck version. The truck version has a larger housing that uses equal length bolts that will protect from starter housing and block boss from failure.

My new starter is much faster and quieter too. Starts up like a new car. Worth the $ IMO.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:20 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are all the truck starters the same and are there any fitment issues? It's tight in there already.

Quick Reply: Starter dragging