Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 05-09-2016, 12:20 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Air Intake and Exhaust Guides
Print Wikipost

Review and install guide for the MSD Atomic AirForce intake manifold.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 05:36 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by wayland1985

You got to wonder why little things like that are missing? I can't imagine it'll take long to develop on their end, but I sure as hell hope they don't plan on charging you for one!
I've been talking with the marketing and design guys, and trust me, it'll be worth it. I talked to them about making the fbody install kit reasonably priced, or offering the intake without the install kit cheaper for those who don't need it.

Patience guys, it's still only March 31.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:20 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I've been talking with the marketing and design guys, and trust me, it'll be worth it. I talked to them about making the fbody install kit reasonably priced, or offering the intake without the install kit cheaper for those who don't need it. Patience guys, it's still only March 31.
True. And the cathedral isn't even DUE to be released for a while yet.

By the way... I have an electronic TB...
Old 03-31-2015, 06:28 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by dr_whigham

True. And the cathedral isn't even DUE to be released for a while yet.

By the way... I have an electronic TB...
So you need the madcow tune for that electric tb
Old 03-31-2015, 06:47 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
So you need the madcow tune for that electric tb
Well played... Well played
Old 04-11-2015, 11:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default msd intake throttle bracket

Holley makes one I used on my factory ls7 on my 4th gen camaro connects to throttle body and 1st bolt on passenger side of intake.ill post up a picture and part number###
Old 04-11-2015, 08:22 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

I spoke with the folks at MSD, and the throttle cable bracket is in development, and I should have a prototype here soon. My current quandary is fuel rails. I have ID1000s injectors, which are the shorter ls2/3 length, so I have the extensions on them when I have ls1 rails on my FAST. Unfortunately, the aftermarket rails I bought, won't work at the ls2/3 height because the rails are hitting the intake manifold in a couple spots. So I need to use the injector spacers and put bushings under the rail brackets which I still have to get.

Next issue is the fuel rail hookups. Long story short, I can't just do a 90 out of the rails because they come in contact with the manifold since it sits higher. I'm working to resolve that.

As you can see in this pic, the connection on the front driver's side is at an angle pointing directly at the driver's side cylinder head. Once I figure it out, I'll let everyone know.

Tomorrow the front accessories will be mounted, as well as the crank pulley and blower bracket and blower. It's getting close.
Old 04-11-2015, 10:09 PM
Teching In

I have been installing mine the last couple of days and it has been a mess. The intake bolts they sent with it weren't even long enough to stick out of the bottom of the manifold, so I had to reuse my stock ones. When we put the manifold in, the bottom of the groove right after the throttle body hole hits the on the water pump top of the water pump. So we cut a notch out of that groove otherwise there was no way it was going down. Sealed the inside of it with rtv to be sure that wouldn't make it leak. Then went to bolt a new 102mm throttle body on and that too was hitting the top of the water pump, so we had to grind that down on the car just to get the bolt holes to line up. Then I went to hook the air box back up to the throttle body and the coupler wouldn't fit over the new throttle body. Found a 4.25 to 4 inch coupling online and just ordered that so that should take care of it. I also got an ls2 style fast fuel rail with spacer kit and oversized o-rings to use the stock injectors and that worked fine. Then I went to hook up the throttle cable linkage and ran into your problem. I don't know how msd could send this product out with so many issues. It says it's bolt on for the car I'm very frustrated I spent $1000 on the thing and it's been such a headache. I had no clue about this throttle cable issue or I would've waited, so now I guess the car will sit there and wait. Good luck getting your water pump on! Hope it goes better for you than it did for me, I'm interested to see what you come up with. My way might not have been the best way, but there are no leaks and I didn't see any other way and of course anyone you call is no help. I'll post a couple pics. One where I ran into the water pump issue and had to notch it out and the spot right underneath on the water pump where I had to grind down to get the throttle body to line up, and one where I'm at now, just waiting on the new coupler and your information on where to mount the throttle cable linkage!

Last edited by Allen2002z28; 04-11-2015 at 11:47 PM.
Old 04-11-2015, 10:11 PM
Teching In

Old 04-12-2015, 05:58 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Yeah, I figured there would be some hiccups along the way. I have the LS2 corvette water pump which I'll install today and then place the intake on the car and see if I have issues as well.

When it comes to releasing a new product, any product, you have to balance the hiccups with getting a product out and not making people wait too long. MSD is listening, as I've given them feedback on a couple issues, and I'm sure the revisions will happen. It's always a gamble being the first to try a product.

It's why I am putting up this thread, to try and help others who chose to get one of these intakes.
Old 04-12-2015, 08:51 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

I just quickly bolted up the water pump I have which is the ls2 corvette pump, and the intake clears without an issue, as does the 90mm throttle body I have. A larger throttle body may be an issue, I'll have to see.
Old 04-12-2015, 12:24 PM
Teching In

Yea it had to of been the water pump that was my issue then because even without the throttle body on you couldn't get the intake down. So if you have an OE ls1 water pump, I'd recommend looking into a different one if you're going to install this intake. What I don't understand though is I bought this intake and the throttle body as a kit. They had a mechanical throttle body as a kit with it and the msd atomic airforce video I seen on YouTube (about 8 mins long) before they even released it said you could use mechanical or electronic. I received mine on March 26th and didn't even expect it to ship out until April 27th, but didn't realize all the other things I needed for an ls1. I've tried contacting msd multiple times in the past weeks on things about this intake and apparently there's only 1 guy there named joe that knows anything about it, and every time I call he's out of the office so I haven't been able to talk to anyone on the issue yet and haven't seen any type of information/thread until this one. Thanks a lot for starting this! Btw were your bolt they sent with the intake long enough? I don't see how you make that mistake either. With the intake out of the car you stick them in the intake and they don't even reach through to the bottom.

Last edited by Allen2002z28; 04-12-2015 at 12:33 PM.
Old 04-12-2015, 07:31 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

I have had my hands full with my rebuild, so my head has been spinning to say the least. I had to go out and check the supplied bolts, and you are absolutely correct, they are about an inch shorter than the factory bolts.

One thing I discovered is my steam port kit that has AN fittings at all four corners won't work either, so I need to figure out another avenue.

Could you measure your fuel rail spacers for me? That's another item I need to get before I can start up my car.

Here's where I got to today...
Old 04-13-2015, 06:20 AM
Teching In

I found one measurement that said .400 inch tall. Here's are a few different kits I found with the spacers and oversized o-rings. My fast fuel rail came with the spacers and i found just the o-rings at katech. The 2 from katech and lingenfelter are $25 each and the other one is only $15. Katech wanted $16 for shipping alone with ups and I told them I was gunna look elsewhere and they said they would send it usps for $5.95. The actual shipping only took 3 days but it took them a week to send out.

Old 04-13-2015, 07:06 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Thanks. I reached out to CBM, a sponsor of this site, and will go through them. Thanks.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:15 AM
Teching In

No problem!
Old 04-13-2015, 10:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice progress. All the more good it will feel once it's all done.
Old 04-15-2015, 02:02 PM
Teching In

Just talked to MSD. If u ever call there the only guy you can talk to about this intake right now is Joe Pando. He said he has a throttle cable bracket for me. They have ones for an OE throttle body and an aftermarket. I also discussed my problems about the water pump with him and they are looking into the intake bolts being too short.
Old 04-15-2015, 02:30 PM
Teching In

this thing is sweet looking
Old 04-15-2015, 04:39 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by Allen2002z28
Just talked to MSD. If u ever call there the only guy you can talk to about this intake right now is Joe Pando. He said he has a throttle cable bracket for me. They have ones for an OE throttle body and an aftermarket. I also discussed my problems about the water pump with him and they are looking into the intake bolts being too short.
Yes, I've been chatting with a few people consistently at MSD for a few weeks now giving them feedback. They shipped out their prototype throttle cable bracket to me yesterday, so I should have it tomorrow. I'll post pics once it gets here. If all goes well, I should be able to fire up the car with it this weekend.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:58 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Well the throttle cable bracket came in today, but it's locating the mount too far from the throttle body, so the throttle blade isn't closing. I need to figure out my next step to get it sorted out.

UPDATE: I had adjusted my throttle cable bracket incorrectly and make the cable too short. Once I adjusted it properly, it fit fine.

Last edited by The Alchemist; 07-07-2015 at 05:59 AM.

Quick Reply: Review and install guide for the MSD Atomic AirForce intake manifold.