Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What starter bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 07:17 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What starter bolts?

Hello everyone i am at my wits end with these starter bolts for my ls1 trans am. First i ripped the threads out of the block so i helicoiled them, no problem. Then they came loose and i bent them slightly so the starter dosent engage. No big deal buy more bolts. However these bolts are too long so i shim them with some washers, didnt realize this was pushing it away from the bellhousing and i bend these. Then i get new bolts, however only the one will fit and i had to reuse an old slightly bent one. Im loosing my mind someone help me out with a suggestion on bolts that actually fit and will hopefully not bend. I looked at arp but i can only find a long bolt short bolt set. Also it is just a stock replacement starter and helicoiled threads are the same as the factory thread. Thanks
Old 05-11-2015, 08:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Use 2 long bolts from ARP, and replace your starter with a long tab style.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:17 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I replaced my starter I just went to the hardware store and got grade 8's. I would think either flanged or with a lock washer would work fine. Torqued it to spec and I added a bit of anti-sieze to the threads too. It's been nearly a year and no problems so far.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

He has the problem of bending the long bolt, this is a symptom of the the starter's short tab bending/flexing/breaking... simply replacing the bolts will not fix this.

Quick Reply: What starter bolts?