Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Knock Sensor in LS7 ... or LS7 Sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 01:26 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default LS1 Knock Sensor in LS7 ... or LS7 Sensors?

Should I use my stock Knock Sensors that came with my car and was in the LS1 engine (mount to front bosses)?

Or, should I be getting LS7 Knock Sensors (mount in stock location)?

The reason I ask: is best KR sensing for me based on the idea that Knock Sensors are compatible with the computer? Or specific to the engine?
Old 06-15-2015, 02:48 PM

The shop that sold me the heads and engine parts was kind enough to tell me I need to use my LS1 Knock Sensors, because the operation is specific to the ecu.

Thanks!
Old 06-15-2015, 05:37 PM
TECH Veteran

That's correct, however how well the sensors actually work in that location is up for debate.

Some say they work,others say they don't and delete them and others say they can be tuned. I know several tuners just delete them in the tune
Old 06-19-2015, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by redbird555
That's correct, however how well the sensors actually work in that location is up for debate.

Some say they work,others say they don't and delete them and others say they can be tuned. I know several tuners just delete them in the tune
Thanks.

When I talked to him, he recommended enlarging and re-threading the existing mount points on that engine. It's my understanding that the incorrect location for KS's could either cause too much detonation read (resulting in higher level of KR and lower performance when timing is pulled) or under-reporting of detonation (resulting in not enough KR) and greater risk of engine failure.

Quick Reply: LS1 Knock Sensor in LS7 ... or LS7 Sensors?