Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can a ls truck sound like a vette or camaro

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 10:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default can a ls truck sound like a vette or camaro

I have an 02 B4C Camaro with the LS1 and 6 speed. I'm not sure what kind of exhaust it has on it but it was on it when I got it a few months ago. I love the sound of the exhaust. It has a "corvette" like sound to it, if that's a good way to imagine the way it sounds. It has a large diameter pipe (4"?) after the y-pipe then runs back, humps over the axle into a muffler then out with two 3" stainless tips. From what I read, this is typical on these cars.

Now can a LS based fullsize truck (4.8 or 5.3) be made to sound similar to this "corvette" sound? I'm sure it is in how the exhaust is ran as the cams are similar to my low-lift stock ls1 cam (I know the LS1 has more lift but not much more). Anyone have an exhaust clip of a "vette" sounding truck with little to no internal mods (cam/heads)?
Old 09-10-2015, 10:34 PM
11 Second Club

Piping diameter, length and muffler choices will determine much of a sound. Cams can alter sounds quite a bit as well.

The big difference will come in engine load though. Whenever I hear some rumble,I can always tell it's just a Brodozer lumbering along as it's automatic lags through the gears under the weight.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:20 AM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Depends what you mean by Corvette sounding. A corvette has H pipe and duals and rear mount mufflers. So mimick that the best you can then the next step is muffler choice.

If you mean that kind of high pitch raspy sound which is what I think of with late model Corvettes then Corsa type mufflers seem to be the most accurate to that sound.

Aside from that you need a cam that will rev and gears and/or stall converter to help the truck get up there and not lug like CoolAid is talking about. Truck cam is a turd, even the Cam Motion drop in truck cam is a HUGE improvement as it will let the truck rev to 6000rpm and pick up about 40rwhp over stock.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Since the engines are similar, I would look to piping and muffler choices as to why one sounds the way it does vs another. Remember fbody and vettes have mufflers at the very back, trucks are typically midway. I have a bullet muffler, full 3 inch on my 6.0 yukon and it's very raspy sounding, like a lot of vettes with catbacks. The main giveaway is its tone is perfect but the rate of the rpms rising under acceration give it away as a truck or something not as fast as a vette to the experienced ear.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:55 AM

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,152 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
If you mean that kind of high pitch raspy sound which is what I think of with late model Corvettes then Corsa type mufflers seem to be the most accurate to that sound.
I laughed out loud at this and got funny looks
Old 09-12-2015, 01:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

THIS!!! I love this so much. Do you even jack your mall crawler up to the sky bro?

Originally Posted by CoolAid
Piping diameter, length and muffler choices will determine much of a sound. Cams can alter sounds quite a bit as well.

The big difference will come in engine load though. Whenever I hear some rumble,I can always tell it's just a Brodozer lumbering along as it's automatic lags through the gears under the weight.
Old 09-12-2015, 02:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its sad but true. The car idles with a great sound, sounds like an exorcism at WOT, but in between, part throttle accel on the street, it's raspy. I just don't want that constant drone, so I just try to soft pedal it on the street. The Corsa touring was on the car when I got it a year ago, it's not bad but wasn't my choice.

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507

Old 09-12-2015, 03:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

just setup a similar exhaust routing and piping size.
Old 09-16-2015, 04:21 PM
On The Tree

That's kind of what I figured. A buddy of mine is getting ready to put a truck 6.0 with L98 heads (came off a G8 GT 6.0) in his C-10. He's also putting a cam in the motor in the .600 range lift and running a carbed set up. Another question; can it still have that raspy "vette" sound with a carb?

On a side note, teens around here are running their trucks straight piped and it sounds weak and horrible. Big heavy trucks lugging thru the gears.
Old 09-16-2015, 04:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
I laughed out loud at this and got funny looks
Haha well not my intention. And I don't think that it is a negative thing. That higher pitch raspy exotic sound is just the sound I think of and like for late model Corvettes.

Raspy isn't always a bad thing...but IMO it is bad on Y pipes. Duals can sound pretty good with a little raspiness to them.

Quick Reply: can a ls truck sound like a vette or camaro