Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H-pipe as cutout location?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 11:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H-pipe as cutout location?

So this idea is relatively poorly thought out, but bear with me. I currently have a Y pipe setup and SLP catback, with a 3" cutout in the intermediate pipe. I've been contemplating a true duals setup recently and got a good quote from a reputable shop to do duals under-axle out the back of the car (its a Trans Am, so dumped is not an option). My idea is to reuse my cutout with the true duals and have it installed in the H-pipe. Then I could run some very restrictive mufflers to keep the exhaust note quiet when I want. Theoretically, wouldn't the cutout be effective there because of A) how an H-pipe works, and B) any pressure buildup from the mufflers would easily escape out of the cutout. It's just my cheap way of justifying not getting another cutout and having the sound too. I'm no engineer, but it seems feasible. Thought?
Old 09-14-2015, 04:15 PM
On The Tree

Bump.
Old 09-15-2015, 12:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Honestly if you have duals I think you have enough flow to not gain much if anything from a cutout. Having the cutout in the H is not a good idea IMO not to mention I dont think its going to fit. Once you start adding the dual pipes and the H crossover to the car you will see there is no room around the torque arm. Im guessing you want to use the cutout pipe itself as the H? I vote a big no for this idea.
Old 09-15-2015, 12:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

If it would fit, I see absolutely no reason for it not to work.

Now, whether or not the single cut out proves to be more freely flowing than the true dual exhaust, that remains to be seen. But you mentioned wanting quiet mufflers, so I would imagine that the cut out will still provide noticeable benefits.

I say go for it, if it fits.
Old 09-15-2015, 01:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Not going to work very well and any sound that comes out will not be pleasant. An H is a balance pipe, most of the exhaust will still be blowing through the main pipes.

Not only that it could actually hurt performance more than help due to eliminating the scavenging effect (which is the whole point) of the crossover.

Either get another cutout, or do away with them entirely. I doubt you find a muffler that is too quiet for your liking for a dual setup.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:04 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a true duel exhaust with 2.5 inch pypes M80 bullet style mufflers on each side, it's awesomeness loud from behind when WOT, pretty darn quiet when cruising under 2K and idle. They are at the bumper with no cats in the system
Old 09-17-2015, 09:05 AM
On The Tree

I guess I didn't think about the scavenging being affected. Maybe I'll just leave the cutout off for now and get another when money is available. Really I like the cutout for the sound, and currently the single cutout makes my ASA cam run better.

Quick Reply: H-pipe as cutout location?