Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.8L build (yes, I know!!) Carb intake + A/M EFI, or LSx intake?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 10:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

Default 4.8L build (yes, I know!!) Carb intake + A/M EFI, or LSx intake?

I'd like to get some of your guys' opinion on my budget build. I have a 2001 4.8L that I'm going to be using for my next swap, mainly because I just bought a house and project funds are now limited, plus I already have the engine which saves me some money.

The main keyword here is BUDGET, but I also want to get the most bang for my buck. Also, the car this is going in will simply be a driver, it will never see any track or racing time, nor does it need to turn 7,000 rpm on a daily basis. Ideally, I'd like to end up with ~400 hp at the crank. I know starting with a 4.8L leaves me with a bit of a handicap on torque output, and I'd like to retain as much of it as possible.

That said, I ran across this 4.8L Budget Build while doing some research: http://powernationtv.com/episode/EP2...ls-tech-part-1

I would like to make a similar build with mine, and in fact, I picked up a set of 243 heads the other day for only $100, so I'm off to a good start. Overall, the build seems pretty budget-friendly, and they end up with just a hair under 400 hp at the end. Perfect. However, they used an Edelbrock Performer RPM carb'd intake, and an aftermarket TBI-based EFI system to achieve that number (granted, they only used it to give a fair comparison against the carbs). I would rather stick with an OEM style intake, I know the ugly truck intake and especially the TBSS intake give better flow and most importantly for me - better torque, over the LS1 and LS6 intakes.

My question is - does anyone know how the OEM style (mainly the truck and TBSS, but LS1/6 also) intakes compare to the dual plane carb intake with an EFI kit? I would imagine the dual plane provides a great torque base for the tiny 4.8L, and I don't want to leave that on the table if I decide to go with an OEM style. I've tried to do some research on this, but I'm coming up short on finding any comparisons between them.

Thanks in advance for any advice or opinions.
Old 10-03-2015, 05:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Personally, I don't think you are leaving any torque on the table using the TBSS intake over a dual plane carb intake. If the TBSS intake fits, you should use it.
Old 10-03-2015, 05:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would try and get a tbss intake also. I think it would make more HP over the dual plane and the same or better torque.
Old 10-04-2015, 08:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

Thanks for the input guys. TBSS intake is on the way.

Quick Reply: 4.8L build (yes, I know!!) Carb intake + A/M EFI, or LSx intake?