Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of changing my cold air setup? What you guys think?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 05:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thinking of changing my cold air setup? What you guys think?

ZCurrently I'm running ws6 lower box/slp lid/k@n sealed to my vfn ram air hood. I was thinking of going to the ssra kit? I would have to remount my tranny cooler 'dope style' which I don't really care for. I'd do it though if I'd see a decent diff in the ssra kit. Before my current set up I had stock lower box with free ram air mod done. Seemed like car was more responsive with air coming in from bottom and the front? I know I've read people saying it will disrupt airflow if you have air coming in for both directions but has anybody really did a flow test to prove this or they just assuming? I just read that someone picked up .1 and 1 mph by removing the front seal on his ftra kit. If this is the case I'd just do the free ram air cut out on my current ws6 box along with it sealed. Real world experience would be nice to hear but I'd listen to any thoughts? Should i do fra mod on my ws6 box? I ran a 12.9 with stock box with fra mod. I ran 13.0 with ws6 box sealed and i went from catted y to ory ? I was thinking with ws6 sealed and no cats i shouldve picked up atleast .1? Both 60ft times were close 2.1--- outside temp was little cooler when i ran 13.0 Thoughts? Thx

Last edited by ironmikektm525; 10-20-2015 at 07:13 AM.
Old 10-21-2015, 06:34 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Air flows from a place of pressure to a place of lesser pressure. One is going to win but IMHO other than directing in cooler air Ram Air does squat.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know you cant dyno the bottom feed (ssra/slp/ect) hood ram air kits. Does anybody have track times/trap speeds from installing a k@n/volant coming off a aftermarket lid setup? I talked to a local shop and they said the k@n dynoed 12hp over any lid setup they tried. I know the fans used during dyno runs cant produce real world wind but from what i gather the k@n setup is close to the ram air kits out there. Just seeing if a k@n setup would out perform my sealed ws6 box. If i went ssra id have to relocate my trans cooler( not a huge deal) but if the k@n produes decent #'s id switch to that and not have to mess with my cooler. I can get k@n setup for decent price. I e read the fitment problems with volant. Id think the volant would be a better setup then k@n due to the enclosed box. Real world thoughts plz
Old 10-25-2015, 09:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

My car had a Volant when I bought it.. I'm curious too.. had a lid on my old SS.. when I close my hood with my Volant you can hear it seal and start sucking air. I don't remember my SLP lid sounding that way..I would almost think it has better flow but maybe not?
Old 10-25-2015, 01:42 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ironmikektm525
I know you cant dyno the bottom feed (ssra/slp/ect) hood ram air kits. Does anybody have track times/trap speeds from installing a k@n/volant coming off a aftermarket lid setup? I talked to a local shop and they said the k@n dynoed 12hp over any lid setup they tried. I know the fans used during dyno runs cant produce real world wind but from what i gather the k@n setup is close to the ram air kits out there. Just seeing if a k@n setup would out perform my sealed ws6 box. If i went ssra id have to relocate my trans cooler( not a huge deal) but if the k@n produes decent #'s id switch to that and not have to mess with my cooler. I can get k@n setup for decent price. I e read the fitment problems with volant. Id think the volant would be a better setup then k@n due to the enclosed box. Real world thoughts plz
The "wind" isn't the factor other than it's not pulling hotter air from around the car. When I worked on designing an intake for GTOs I used MAPs to see what worked the best. With everything else the same except the intake a higher manifold pressure at WOT compared to ambient kPa indicated less pressure drop from the intake to the intake manifold and thus the better design. BTW there was no difference in manifold pressure going from a particular intake to the same one ducted to my front kidney grills which are in a higher pressure area than any hood scoop. It just pulls in air further away from the engine bay.

Quick Reply: Thinking of changing my cold air setup? What you guys think?