Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice on duals

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2004, 11:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need advice on duals

I'm looking at getting a custom dual system done by Kooks but the price is high (~1400). As this was my only choice for a while, I was ready for it. I know the system would be done great. All hung professionally, no banging, rattling, custom built on the car, all the way back, good clearence, ability to run a crossbraced TA, etc. But now I just saw the TSP rumbler X and I am debating on getting that for a measly 400 bucks. I know then I will run the risk of encountering all the above stuff I mentioned, banging, clearence, etc. I also really wanted a full back system. I need some opinions and suggestions. Thanks.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:16 AM
On The Tree

Kooks will be stainless, no drone (if it goes over the axle), professionally done, etc.

the TSP rumbler x is aluminized and dumps before the axle. whether you want this is a personal opinion. I personally would just get the rumbler and spend the other $1000 somewhere else
Old 06-11-2004, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Kooks will actually be aluminized. Kind of insane, isn't it.
Old 06-11-2004, 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

$1400 ! damn thats to high. thank them for their kind offer and spend your money elsewhere.
Old 06-11-2004, 01:59 PM
TECH Junkie

$1400 is a pretty good price for duals...

if it comes with a set of LT's and labor to install everything!
Old 06-16-2004, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

OK.....new approach is to go with the TSP X and find a place to weld on some under the axle Tailpipes. I tried to search for some pics of this but couldn't. Anyone have any?
Old 06-16-2004, 11:46 PM
Staging Lane

Would the TSP X work with stock manifolds? I can afford the $400 for the system, but can't do headers right now. I have a Flowmaster and don't really care for it. I just think the TSP X would be better even with stock manifolds.
Old 06-17-2004, 10:38 AM
On The Tree

As of right now the TSP is made to connect to longtubes. You would have to get an exhaust shop to fab up pipes on each side of the manifolds (before or after the cats, depending on whether you plan to keep them on) to fit the TSP X
Old 06-18-2004, 07:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think that if you don't have headers at this point, you should continue to save your money to do it all at once. It will cost you a lot less in the long run.

Make the wise choice and get stainless steel long tubes...I wish I had. Even with the Jet-Hot coating, my MACs are rusting pretty bad. Not the end of the world, but still a pain in the ***.

Then invest money into the exhaust system that you WANT, don't settle. Otherwise you will wind up in my boat where you have gone through 5 cat-back setups and two dual exhaust setups to get to a point where it still isn't exactly right.

Stainless headers from Kooks plus a fully mandrel bent dual exhaust with x-pipe plumbed out the back is worth it's weight in gold, especially if it fits right.

Plus, if you sit down and talk with them, you may be able to get a better price. Or just be patient and wait for a sale!

You might spend $2500 bucks on the entire exhaust, but hell, I've spent at least that much swapping out cat-backs cuz they all sound like crap (IMO) or don't flow well enough to warrant the expense. And I still don't have stainless or a dual exhaust that exits the rear.
Old 06-18-2004, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NOBR8KSS
I think that if you don't have headers at this point, you should continue to save your money to do it all at once. It will cost you a lot less in the long run.

Make the wise choice and get stainless steel long tubes...I wish I had. Even with the Jet-Hot coating, my MACs are rusting pretty bad. Not the end of the world, but still a pain in the ***.

Then invest money into the exhaust system that you WANT, don't settle. Otherwise you will wind up in my boat where you have gone through 5 cat-back setups and two dual exhaust setups to get to a point where it still isn't exactly right.

Stainless headers from Kooks plus a fully mandrel bent dual exhaust with x-pipe plumbed out the back is worth it's weight in gold, especially if it fits right.

Plus, if you sit down and talk with them, you may be able to get a better price. Or just be patient and wait for a sale!

You might spend $2500 bucks on the entire exhaust, but hell, I've spent at least that much swapping out cat-backs cuz they all sound like crap (IMO) or don't flow well enough to warrant the expense. And I still don't have stainless or a dual exhaust that exits the rear.
I do have headers (in sig) and I agree with your thoughts exactly. This was the same rational that I was using. I got my Kooks for 700 and my off road Y for 200 and I installed them, so 900 total. I figure if the duals are going to cost 1200-1300 then I would have spent 2000 total. (assuming I sell the Y to make up for some costs) I've read so many times that people have changed catbacks 3 or 4 times and then finally got duals. I figured with all the buying and selling, trying to find what you like, and then finally finding it, I would just spend the dough and get what I know I want. I have never heard duals in person on an Fbody but I have them on my Silverado and it is the sweetest. So as of right now, I think I have two options, go with the Rumbler, get tails under-the-axle installed and at max it would be 800 total. However, I run the risk of clearence issues, banging, rattling and limited TA selection. If I go with the Custom built system, I am fairly confident it will be mint with no problems and it will be run along side the passenger side so a cross-braced TA is do-able.