Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 model problems /LTs

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2004, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default 98 model problems /LTs

I've heard the 98 LS1 has problems with LTs throwing codes and such.

has anyone here expreienced LT problems / 98 models

mine is a 99 and have heard the problems still exit /99 & up but less often
Thanks
Old 06-11-2004, 05:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only problem I have is, they were a bitch to install by yourself. Get a friend to help.
Old 06-11-2004, 09:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Exclamation

I HAD a set of Jet-Hot LT Headers and Y-pipe. They were based on the Hooker design. It seems a lot of the '98's have "issues" with LT headers throwing "Insufficient Switching" and "Slow Response" codes for the O2 sensors. I did EVERYTHING that was recommended to solve my problems. I bought new O2 sensors, grinded down the O2 bungs, bought 3" wide bandclamps, disconnected the AIR system, changed header gaskets, bought a MAFT, and I'm sure I did a few other things that I've just tried to forget. I'm just glad my whole ordeal is over. I was happiest as the guy that bought my LT's was leaving while I had my cash in hand. I didn't even care that I lost a couple of hundred! That was by far the worst mod I tried! However, the guy that bought them put them on his Z and didn't have a single problem. I've talked to a couple of other '98 owner's that have had similar experiences with LT headers, but it seems to happen a lot less frequently with '99-up owners.

I also forgot to mention the banging Y-pipe. I tried everything from a block of wood wrapped in heater hose, to actually using a clamp and putting heater hose around were the Y-pipe was banging and I couldn't solve that problem either. Between the codes I couldn't get rid of and the baning Y-pipe, I just had a BAD experience.

However, it's the weirdest thing, some '98's don't have any problems with LT headers, and some have fits like my '98.