Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS engine bolt ons

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS engine bolt ons

30 year SBC guy switching over to the LS stuff.

Looking to find out if all the "bolt On" parts are the same from the 5.3, 6.0, and 6.2 engines. Talking about valve covers, oil pans, oil pumps, water pumps, exhaust, etc. For the most part.....sbc stuff interchanges with other sbc stuff. Wasn't sure if the LS works the same.

What I am doing is switching over a 63 impala to an LS. The goal is to either get a 6.0 or 6.2 and make a stroker with a 4" crank. However I don't want to buy a complete engine when I am just going to gut it and only use the block and heads. (mainly due to the cost). Figure I can buy a cheap blown up 5.3 for all the externals as they are dime a dozen. I am also going to run this with a carb (edelbrock intake with msd setup) and not fuel injection. Also the factory 4 speed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-17-2016, 03:16 PM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

For the most part, exhaust manifolds / headers will bolt up to any LS head. The accessories vary by platform. So, if you use vette accessories they all need to be vette. If you use truck accessories they all need to be truck.

Intake, there are three styles - two are relative to trucks. Cathedral and rectangle. Squares are also available but they are pretty much LS7 only. So, a 6.2 intake won't interchange with a 5.3 or 6.0.

Throttles - there are three bolt and four bolt. And cable or electronic. So if you have a three bolt intake off a cable driven vehicle, you need a three bolt cable throttle. You get the idea.

Air flow sensors are pretty much by diameter, but you will need to tune for them. Injectors, there are basically two styles. EV1, EV6. EV1 is the LS1, LS6 style. EV6 is the LS2,3,7 style.

That the type of info you need?
Old 01-17-2016, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Helps out a lot. I'm going to use either 821 or 823 heads with a edelbrock carb manifold.....so all the throttle, fuel injectors, sensors won't mean much in this project but sure will help down the road when I graduate up to all the computer stuff.
Old 01-17-2016, 07:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

also ask this in the conversion and hybrid section.
Old 01-17-2016, 07:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jdperf1
Helps out a lot. I'm going to use either 821 or 823 heads with a edelbrock carb manifold.....so all the throttle, fuel injectors, sensors won't mean much in this project but sure will help down the road when I graduate up to all the computer stuff.
Take summer classes!

Quick Reply: LS engine bolt ons