Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator ground wire

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 11:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Alternator ground wire

I'm not sure what to do here. Has anyone ever tried to remove the ground wire on the back of the alternator, and the result was that the whole wire and nut just spins without coming loose? That is my current problem. I'm thinking about just cutting the wire as close to the connection as possible, in order to leave enough wire for me to crimp on another connector. This won't solve my entire problem, but I will at least be able to remove the alternator from the car. Any input or insight on this would be appreciated.
Old 01-18-2016, 02:39 PM
Teching In

I've done what you're considering doing with no ill effects. Just crimp on a new lug. Also, be advised that that rear post is NOT a ground. The alt grounds to the block. That post is the +12V output to the battery. Be careful with the exciter wire. They are easy to snap/damage when pulling the alt.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:16 PM
On The Tree

Ah, I had a feeling that wasn't the ground. Good to know I can cut it off and clamp on a new lug though. Thank you!

Quick Reply: Alternator ground wire