Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idler Pulley

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2004, 10:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Idler Pulley

I've been getting this squeaking only after the car has reached full op temp. It also only happens as the car is reving down..

We used a stethescope today.. and kinda narrowed it down to either the alternator or the idler pulley near the power steering pump.

Has anyone else had these issues with an idler pulley or alternator..

How much does an idler pulley run? part number?

Thanks
Old 06-13-2004, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z28Venom
I've been getting this squeaking only after the car has reached full op temp. It also only happens as the car is reving down..

We used a stethescope today.. and kinda narrowed it down to either the alternator or the idler pulley near the power steering pump.

Has anyone else had these issues with an idler pulley or alternator..

How much does an idler pulley run? part number?

Thanks
The idler pulley has always been a problem in the past, if you're going to replace the idler pulley it might be a good time to replace it with a " Larry " pulley from ASP.

Al
Old 06-13-2004, 11:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When my pulleys were squeaking, I wasn't sure which pulley it was so I sprayed WD-40 on each on (into the bearing part) until one of them stopped squeaking. You can try this to narrow it down. My squeaky idler went away on it's own, I had gotten some water in the bearing.