Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shorty Install Pics...

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 02:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Shorty Install Pics...

Does anybody know a comprehensive document of how to install shorties? I have already purchased BBKs and did that because it's my daily driver and the smog *****. I found one site, but it was all text. My buddy's dad has done two LT1 shorty install, but obviously mine will be different. Any tips, pics or websites would be greatly appreciated. And yes, I ordered gaskets, plugs and wires also.
Old 06-14-2004, 02:24 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

theres not much to shorties, justs remove the old manifolds and install the shorties from the top. remove the air tube for added clearance. job should be done in less then an hour.
Old 06-14-2004, 02:26 AM
TECH Resident

The hooker shorties I had would not fit from the top, But they went in from the bottom with no problems.
Old 06-14-2004, 09:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jrp
theres not much to shorties, justs remove the old manifolds and install the shorties from the top. remove the air tube for added clearance. job should be done in less then an hour.
But how do I remove the manifolds? I have never done anything of this sort. Is there a book or a website that will give detailed instructions? I am not dumb, I installed the BGRA, lid and B&M shifter myself w/o glitches, but I do need instructions.
Old 06-14-2004, 12:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know of any instructions, but it's cake. Just unbolt the old headers (10mm socket), and put in the new ones. Take off the coil packs for more clearence to work. Both of them will probably go in from the bottom.
Old 06-14-2004, 12:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You are going to have to raise the car to get under it. (ramps/jack stands) Unplug all 4 O2 sensors and unscrew the front ones. The rears can stay in the pipes. Remove the Y-pipe. 2 nuts on the drivers side where it attaches to the cat and 3 nuts on the passenger side where it attaches to the manifold and the nut on the clamp where it attaches to the I-pipe. Then remove the 3 nuts that attach the drivers side cat to the manifold and remove that cat. Use lots of WD-40 on all these and still be prepared for the studs to break. Then go up top and remove the AIR tubes, coil pack brackets, plug wires, and plugs. Then remove the 6 bolts per side that hold the manifolds to the heads. Having someone under the car supporting the manifolds will help. They will come out from the bottom. A 10mm gear wrench willl help also. GM uses loc-tite on the manifold bolts so they will be hard to remove. I always clean the threads on a wire wheel and reinstall with anti-sieze. Tq the manifold bolts to 18 ft lbs. Reassemble everything in reverse order using new GM gaskets. I doubt anyone is going to get this done in less than an hour.
Old 06-14-2004, 01:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
I doubt anyone is going to get this done in less than an hour.
That's what I thought too. From what I've been told, I should expect at least four to six hours because we've never done it before. By the way thanks 2xLS1 for your valuable input. As soon as they arrive we'll try and tackle it, and I may PM you for more advice if that's okay.