Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New motor mounts/k-member misaligned

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 03:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New motor mounts/k-member misaligned

i just recently installed a UMI kmember as well as prothane poly mounts in the clam shells in my 00 T/A. Now that I’m trying to bolt everything back up, I got the passengers side mount bolts into the block, but the drivers side seems like the motor needs to move 1/4-1/2” back for them to bolt up. If I pull the motor back by the tranny crossmember, the bolts are very close but It doesn’t look like the tranny will line up at that point. This kicked my butt all weekend so any advice would be appreciated.

I have verified the clamshells are properly assembled from other threads btw.
Old 02-26-2018, 03:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,022 Likes on 2,353 Posts

Loosen the tranny mount bolt(s), loosen the P/S motor mount bolts, wiggle the whole works a bit and there should be enough give to get the last ones started. 1/4-1/2" isn't that much.
Old 02-26-2018, 04:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Check the orientation of the clamshells AND poly inserts very carefully as many get one or both cages installed upside-down on the engine and/or get the poly inserts installed backwards in the cages.

The same factory mount is used on both sides of the engine and the center portion of the rubber insert protrudes further out of one end of the cage than the other, so one the rubber inserts are taken out and replaced with poly inserts it's very easy to get things screwed up if you are not paying attention.

Here's what to keep in mind...the end of the cage that has the step in it is the bottom of the cage and needs to be installed towards the oil pan. When the inserts are correctly oriented in the cages, the long end of the center portion of the insert will point towards the front of the car on the passenger side mount and towards the rear of the car on the driver side mount.
Old 02-26-2018, 04:35 PM
Teching In

Passengers side
Drivers side
These are the fronts of the clamshells.
I’m installing the motor/trans so the trans isn’t bolted up at all yet. I put the four bolts in and the drivers side just seemed like the motor was far too forward and I can’t get any real movement out of it with the trans bolted up.
Old 02-26-2018, 04:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,022 Likes on 2,353 Posts

Does the trans hit the tunnel?
Old 02-26-2018, 05:13 PM
Teching In

Right now it’s not but if I jacked it up probably another 1”-2” it would be.