Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible loose tensioner? Trying to diagnose belt whine

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 12:08 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible loose tensioner? Trying to diagnose belt whine

Hey guys, recently picked up a 99 z28 with 116k on it, not sure of maintenance history and I've got a very audible whine coming from the belt assembly. No belt squeaks, but a definite, sort of metallic whine, almost sounding a little grating.

I'm thinking its either the tensioner, as I can see its arm? move slightly every few seconds while the car is on, or perhaps the power steering pump or harmonic balancer?

Sorry for the "hey my car makes this noise.." thread, was just wondering if this rang any bells. Can provide a video if needed.
Old 03-15-2016, 06:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Not knowing the history of the car, the harmonic damper is the first place to look. The stock units will go and when they do the pulley can move outwards. Look for misalignment or wobble. Note that the removal and installation of the harmonic damper is very specific and you must follow the GM manual on this to prevent damage to the crank snout.

Not sure where the A/C compressor is on an f-body but the clutch can make this kind of noise. My mothers old Pontiac is doing that and needs a clutch replacement.
Old 03-15-2016, 08:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 527 Likes on 357 Posts

i had a whine that I couldnt figure out. turned out the PS pulley needed to be seated another >1/16" inch back. quiet as a mouse now.
Old 03-15-2016, 01:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

None of my pulleys move by hand, all on pretty damn snug and nothing is wobbling while spinning. The seating of the ps pulley could very well be it. if thats all it takes to make noise.

Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: Possible loose tensioner? Trying to diagnose belt whine