Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ugh...please someone give me some input on headers..

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ugh...please someone give me some input on headers..

Now this sucks for me big time. I took my car to this new shop (i like to help out small shops to get them "on the map" locally so to speak) to fix up a little bit of my exhaust woes...they were supposed to be excellent custom exhaust guys... i gotta look under my car today, **** is kind of hanging low...atleast the hangers to the mufflers (true duals dumped) looked awesome now, but, i looked up towards the pacesetter mufflers...the ******* welded a 2.5 inch pipe to a 3 inch collector! no reducer or anything like that. looks like they just started welding away.

it looks like ****, but it works...no leaks...but here is the issue...the rest of the X pipe hangs way to ******* low. is there anyway i can sawzall off some of the 3 inch collector and weld a 3 inch to 2.5 inch reducer on their without screwing much up?

cause of these dumb peices of **** i gotta eat a bundle of money to get this fixed as i dont have time to do it myself.. would it just be cheaper for me to purchase a new set of pacesetters or Macs or something and redo my exhaust? I dont really care about losing some hp going to macs cause thats what the nitrous kit is for, if i can get them for really cheap...would it be worth it just to start fresh, do it myself the right way the first time...when i have the time?

what do you guys think? i need some help deciding which way im going to go.
Travis
Old 06-15-2004, 02:11 PM
10 Second Club

I have found that most true dual set ups for these cars hang too low, I think it's unavoidable and is one of the reasons many people choose not to do it.
As for the header welding issue, it does suck, it is wrong and might not even 'hold up' over time but I have to recommend just living with it for now, no one ever looks under there anyway. If it starts to fall apart over time then maybe address it but even then I wouldn't buy new headers, just cut it/grind it off and get a reducer and reweld it properly.
Macs will only work now if you get some extensions as well I assume.
Old 06-15-2004, 02:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2.5" true dual setup tucks very nicely until you get back to the Borla Mufflers that I chose.

If you look at my car from the side, the x-pipe isn't even visible. My boxed sfc's are lower.

I'm debating switching mufflers, but I like the Borla sound, so I may just do a little floorboard modding.

As for them welding your damn headers, I'd go back and ask for a refund. That is just unacceptable. At least ask the owner if they want them welded. Removing your exhaust is impossible now. Well, without hacking **** off.
Old 06-16-2004, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Z28Venom
My 2.5" true dual setup tucks very nicely until you get back to the Borla Mufflers that I chose.

If you look at my car from the side, the x-pipe isn't even visible. My boxed sfc's are lower.

I'm debating switching mufflers, but I like the Borla sound, so I may just do a little floorboard modding.

As for them welding your damn headers, I'd go back and ask for a refund. That is just unacceptable. At least ask the owner if they want them welded. Removing your exhaust is impossible now. Well, without hacking **** off.
venom, i originally had a x pipe i installed and it was tucked up very nicely just like yours. But i was having really bad leaking issues and my hangers kept breaking (i think i just had a bad set of hangers perhaps, or maybe my skills were lacking which is probably more than likely the issue), so i took it to a friends brothers new shop he opened. He wanted to use my car as a kind of business card. He'd do the work for free if i could spread the word around and give out some business cards. So i really feel bad complaining as this was free. But I had to put in some 30 minute phone call explaining what he did wrong and what he needs to do to fix this issue...and (considering this guy is still pretty young..maybe in his 30's and owning a shop) he seemed lost when i was telling him what I needed him to do.

I myself am gonna grind down the collector welds and smooth it out and re do some of it, just so it looks ok. In all the X pipe section looked aweseome. The bullets fit very very well under the car, only problem i have with the exhaust other than the header collectors is where he put the hanger...i explained where i needed it but he didnt get it evidently and just hooked a metal hanger to the frame under the car....which equals vibration city cause there is no rubber between the metals.

hopefully i can get this resolved.

and venom if you change those mufflers lemme know ill buy yours off of you