Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coil Pack Chaos

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Coil Pack Chaos

Before I ask the questions let me say, yes i went to the LS6 intake for looks and I want the corvette fuel rail covers for look too so the look is my end goal.

I have a 2000 5.3L engine I swapped into my 1950 chevy truck. I am in the process of putting everything on the long block and today I ran into a mess with the coil packs. When I went to install the LS6 intake the fuel rail inlet is trying to occupy the same space as one of the original coil packs. I want to leave the coils on the valve covers but obviously they need to move. The other problem is that the fuel rail covers hit the coil packs and don't fit either. I have the large truck coils with the heat sync.

So my coils and coil mounts came from a truck motor and my intake came from a car. Can I swap to the car coils and brackets to fix the interference with the fuel rail or will that open a new can of worms?

Second I got the black C5 fuel rail covers and even if I had the thinner coil packs I still don't know if they would fit. They hook to the fuel rail no problem but the three parts on the bottom that look like they would press onto a stud aren't near anything. Does any one have a picture of the brackets and coils I need? or a model and year to search for parts from?

Thanks guys.
Old 05-20-2016, 04:32 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The C5 FRC's will work with LS1 style coil packs.

The truck coils use a different bracket to hold the coils, so if you do swap over to LS1 style you will need the bracket as well. IIRC they go for $24ish per bracket.

One more thing, the injector wire loom, I tucked mine under the injectors to give it a little more room. With it going into a truck I would look into relocating the coils entirely off the valve covers. There are a few relocation kits out there. You'll need to make your own plug wires.

You may be able to adjust the coils on the bracket or the bracket itself by drilling new holes for mounting. On my 98 Trans Am I only use 2 bolts to hold the bracket to the valve covers.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:06 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the reply. I guess I will have to try and track down the ls1 style coil assembly. Are those coils a down grade? I thought I read that they were not that good. I would be ok with that if I have to do it. I don't want to relocate the coils because I want as little wires and stuff under the hood as possible.

Would the coil change require a retune?
Old 05-24-2016, 12:46 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The dwell timing on the 5.3's are longer and give a hotter spark but not necessary a down grade IMHO more like the LS1's are an older design while the truck coils are newer.

Not necessary on the tune. It's all on how detailed your tuner is. I know you can run truck coils on a LS1 tune. Mine did till I finished up all the little stuff till I was ready to take it to my tuner.

Full disclosure, I have truck coils on mine.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:20 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the reply. I will try and find a used set of LS1 coils and brackets then and do the swap. Maybe I can get something for the truck coils later too.

I have a mail order tune now for my swap just because I needed the VATs and emissions removed so I think its still stock truck tune otherwise. As long as it will run good and not hurt anything having the weaker spark I will do it. Once my truck build is done I might consider a professional tune but that will depend on how good it runs with the base tune.

Quick Reply: Coil Pack Chaos