Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

90mm Intake Vs. 80mm

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 05:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 90mm Intake Vs. 80mm

I have been looking for some modifications for the car, it will be the frist of many. The F.A.S.T LSX 90mm Intake along with the 90mm Throttle body caught my eye, looks great, the write up looks good. I'll also be adding the whisper lid. Has any one goe one of these on their car and did they notice a performance increase? It looks like an easy bolt on for 20hp.

I got some other mods happening at the same time, will be lowering the car with the Thunder Racing Lowering Kit, and getting the BMR xtreme duty strut brace. Also going for the Borla Cat-Back Exhaust System.

All parts will be from Thunder Racing as its easier for me to buy all from one place to deliver to a container dock and get it shipped to England.

I wanted to get some bigger injectors but they only have Ford Racing 30lb as the biggest, but I have seen people talk of more than 42lb in this forum. I dont even know what is fitted to the car as standard so dont know if 30lb will be much of an increase.
Old 06-20-2004, 07:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On your car a LS6 intake and ported stock T/B would be better on a stock internal engine. If you were to go with some stage 2 heads and cam then you might want to go with the 90mm LSX intake and a 90mm T/B. You don't need to change you injectors either my stock one's which are the same as yours and still within their duty cycle with my stage 2 heads cam and 90mm intake and T/B setup.
Old 06-20-2004, 03:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

BTW 30 lbs SVO flow like 36lbs with the pressures in F-body system.
You have 26.4 lbs injector on your Y2K.
Old 06-22-2004, 07:30 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the info about the injetors, I'll leave them as they are as I guess they can supply more HP than my mods will give.

I would love to go for stage 2 heads, but the price tage of like $3K puts me off a little, the other problem is core charge, being in another country it would work our too much to send my old ones back and the car would be off the road for mounts. Just found some AFR 205cc LS1 Cylinder Heads with 76cc chamber assembled with 2.02" / 1.60" Valves, single coil valve springs(.580" max lift), and titanium retainers, for $2300 and no mention of core charge. Now I may be tempted, what do you think of these? I wish to get all I can from Thunder Racing as its easier to ship from one place.

The next quetion is air intake, I want to got for the F.A.S.T 90mm intake manifold , 90mm MAF sensor, 90mm throttle body and the Whisper Lid, the next problem with be tubing. My stock tubes wont fit the new gear and I cant seem to find bigger hoses to take te new stuff.

I realise I dont need the 90mm Manifold just yet, but I want to totally sort of parts before moving onto the next. Any bolt on's I can do, but head swapping will take over 5 weeks as the local garage is booked up.

Thanks

Dan
Old 06-22-2004, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedWS6 00
Thanks for the info about the injetors, I'll leave them as they are as I guess they can supply more HP than my mods will give.

I would love to go for stage 2 heads, but the price tage of like $3K puts me off a little, the other problem is core charge, being in another country it would work our too much to send my old ones back and the car would be off the road for mounts. Just found some AFR 205cc LS1 Cylinder Heads with 76cc chamber assembled with 2.02" / 1.60" Valves, single coil valve springs(.580" max lift), and titanium retainers, for $2300 and no mention of core charge. Now I may be tempted, what do you think of these? I wish to get all I can from Thunder Racing as its easier to ship from one place.

The next quetion is air intake, I want to got for the F.A.S.T 90mm intake manifold , 90mm MAF sensor, 90mm throttle body and the Whisper Lid, the next problem with be tubing. My stock tubes wont fit the new gear and I cant seem to find bigger hoses to take te new stuff.

I realise I dont need the 90mm Manifold just yet, but I want to totally sort of parts before moving onto the next. Any bolt on's I can do, but head swapping will take over 5 weeks as the local garage is booked up.

Thanks

Dan

This is the hose I went with and it works great with my 90mm setup.
http://shop.airflowonline.com/Mercha...tegory_Code=HH
Old 06-22-2004, 02:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

76cc AFR would reduce your compression too much (8.4>8.5:1) and you'll loose HP. Unless you want to Turbo or FI.
What you want is 66cc to stay around 10.2:1. but most poeple bump the CR higher to at least 10.8>11:1 for best performance gains.
Your CR decision has to be based on the octane of the fuel you are able to run with.
Yes 90mm looks good but is way overkill for you at the moment. LS6 is the way to go for now.
No heads, then get a "Big cam" (G5X2 or G5x3) unless you have emmissions then a 224/.581/114 or similar will pass (IN US at least) Or a good reverse split cam like MTI X1.

Do more reading and be patient, make wise decisions and base all your parts as a complementing package, not as individual adders. you will get much better results.

Last edited by PREDATOR-Z; 06-22-2004 at 02:42 PM.