Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Exhaust Setup, What do you guys think?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Custom Exhaust Setup, What do you guys think?

Hey,

Ive been wanting to get headers for awhile now, and think I may have arrived at a pretty cool solution to my emissions/noise level problems. Id like to stay emissions legal, and I live in a fairly populated suburb of Boston so I would like to keep the noise levels tolerable (except when I want ). So this is what I came up with (although Im sure its been done many many times).

Also, keep in mind that my car is an A4 TA almost completely stock except for an SLP airlid, K&N filter, a TSP Rumbler catback, and some free mods (ram air).

LTs - Get Pacesetter Coated LTs from texas-speed.com and fab up the rest of it at my local exhaust shop (these guys are pretty good).

Y-Pipe - This is where it gets interesting, I just want to know how hard and/or possible this setup will be to fab up because like i said, im SURE its been done before. First, I would start with dual flowtech 3' Cutouts right after the headers with dual Mccord electronic cutouts on the flanges, with custom turndowns on the cutouts.

After the cutout, I would weld up 2 Dynomax 3" in/out, 18" long catalytic converters, dumped into custom 3" pipe into a 3" in/3.5" out flowmaster Y collector, then dumped into a Hooker Exhaust Reducer (3.5" down to 3") so it will mate right up to the Rumbler Catback I have on there right now.'

So how hard do you think this would be for an exhaust shop to fab up and weld up? I would install the headers myself and drive the car down to have the Y pipe made up and installed.......and I planned to get some tips to be welded on to finish it up. It seems like quite a bit of work to me, but how much do you think it would cost to have it done?
Old 06-21-2004, 07:42 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like I've told you before.

If you have an A4, the first mod should be a stall.

A stall is going to make your car feel and run stronger then the headers and such. Cost less money...

Stall > All

I have an m6 and even I know this.
Old 06-21-2004, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will have about $800 left right after I finish this setup (if i decide to go with it, I need more opinions!) so a stall would be next on my list for mods.

But for now, I just want to find out if this is a good idea or not!
Old 06-21-2004, 09:21 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might want to look at the Carsound/Magnaflow 94109, they are 3" in/out and 13" long. You'll need that extra space. Look on ebay for good deals on them.