Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wierd rattling sound from Hooker ORY....wtf????

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 09:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Wierd rattling sound from Hooker ORY....wtf????

I put in a Hooker ORY yesterday and it fit well. But on idle and just off idle (~1500rpm) it makes a tinny vibration sound on the drivers side right where the 2 pieces come together. I trimmed the heat shield and I have about 1" of room between the top of the pipe and the body. I have also installed a poly mount on the drivers side. I know it is not rubbing anywhere....I had the car on jackstands idling...I could hear the sound and I watched everything....nothing hits.....

I have stainless band clamps on the collectors (the 3" wide/2 bolt style), but I used the 1" T-Bolt style clamp where the 2 pieces of the y come together...there's really no leaks....any ideas??

It sounds like a heat shield is vibrating...very tinny...right where the 2 pieces of the y come together...

What could it be???
Old 06-25-2004, 10:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

May not be the problem.. but, check the rings around the O2 sensors wire sheathing .. they like to rattle. I wrapped mine in electrical tape. Worked like a charm.
Old 06-25-2004, 03:35 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks John, I'll check that out....you know, that might actually be it, never thought of it.

Any other ideas anyone?
Old 06-25-2004, 03:42 PM
12 Second Club

Nevermind....DUH!!!!!

I checked the metal rings as WILWAXU suggested....well, the O2 sensor on the drivers side was loose. I'm an idiot. I loosened it when I had to pull the header out but forgot to retighten it...

Since I have the JetHots, the O2s are on the inside so I didnt even see it vibrating or know that it was loose. Also, I was watching the real-time data on my Predator and the LTFTs would jump to -45% sometimes....so that explains it.

Thanks WILWAXU!!