Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator Exciter Wire Loaction - HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 11:14 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator Exciter Wire Loaction - HELP!!!

I love taking cars that might end up in a junkyard and rebuilding them. My latest project is a 2000 TA convertible I am building for my grandson, but I have ran into a problem. We changed the motor mounts and installed headers (stock cats were clogged and throwing codes). Evidently while doing the work the exciter wire snapped off the alternator. I can fix it, but I have one small problem. I can't find it. I have looked all over and don't see the other end of the wire (the part going to the ECM). Evidently whoever had the car before me replaced the connector and I have a white wire coming out of the alternator with a butt end connector on it that I assume was connected to the exciter wire. I believe the wire I am looking for is a red wire, can someone tell me where it comes from or what it is loomed with?

Keith
Old 02-19-2017, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 226 Likes on 179 Posts

Get a schematic/diagram for that year and model and find out exactly the wire your looking by its color and gauge. That white wire might be a tach wire, that's the color I'm using for tach signal my exciter wire is orange. I'm using a blue-red 2000 fbody 411 ecm.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:45 PM
Teching In

I know the connector is aftermarket and the exciter wire is not white. I have seen a number of posts on here and know the wire is red. There are no loose wires anywhere near the starter location. I am trying to find out if there is some way to locate it. What wires are run with it in the loom? Where does come out of the loom, etc...
Old 02-20-2017, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 226 Likes on 179 Posts

Look on the left (drivers )side up towards the front of the motor, alt is left side of Fbody. Starter is opposite location, probably won't find it over there
Old 02-21-2017, 09:53 AM
Teching In

I found it. It broke off higher up in the loom at the top of the motor. If anyone else runs into this, it is a red wire that runs in the same loom as the temp sensor wiring from the rear of the motor on the driver side.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,298 Posts

I was just going to tell you its hiding up in the loom lol. Kind of stupid the way they did that small wire. Glad you found it.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I was about to say its probably hiding behind the power steering pump.

Quick Reply: Alternator Exciter Wire Loaction - HELP!!!