Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnaflow Exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 08:24 AM
12 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Question Magnaflow Exhaust question

Here's something I just noticed the other day as I pulled the car out of storage to drive it on a nice day. It was a cool morning and I started the car up just fine pulled it out of the storage unit, got out to close the door and I noticed the exhaust coming from the two tips looked a little funny. The exhaust was visible as it was slightly chilly outside. Looking at the passenger side exhaust tip, the exhaust was coming straight out (high pressure) while the driver's side was noticeably weaker. Would this be a sign that I have a muffler that has degraded? This system has been on the car since 2005. Car has seen ran 2 times since I've owned it. Always garaged.

I've never noticed this before. Took it out for a drive with a few good pulls came back to put it back into storage and held my hand over the exhaust pipes and there is defiantly a difference in pressure.

Is this normal? I reached out to Magnaflow yesterday and have yet to receive a reply.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:52 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds pretty normal I would say. The passenger side tail pipe has a much shorter route than the drivers side, so in theory the drivers side pipe would lose a little bit of that "pressure" per say vs the passenger side. Its more apparent on say a Borla system where the only pipe that routes the exhaust through the muffler is the one exiting on the drivers side of the car.
Old 02-26-2017, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 317 Likes on 224 Posts

It's fine, the gas is just taking the path of least resistance and there is little pressure as compared to when the engine is running at higher speeds. Have someone Rev it up while you stand behind the car and you will see that it comes out both sides more evenly then. I have the same muffler on my Z28 and it does the same thing.
For what it's worth on my particular setup, opening the cutout I have installed ahead of the muffler is only worth 3HP at peak on the dyno so I'm pretty happy with it. Best flowing crossflow style muffler I'm aware of.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:01 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Yes, I heard somewhere that that's how the Magnaflow is constructed. It's like a single path through to the one pipe with the other being basically an overflow channel.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Normal forget about it.

Quick Reply: Magnaflow Exhaust question