Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor mount bolt won't line up

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 05:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Burken01
Cage? As in the clamshell itself?

It can't be installed upside down, the bolt holes will not align to the block
Yes the clamshell housing itself, it can be bolted on correctly, or upside-down. Here's a couple of images that show the same mount right-side-up and then upside-down on the same block...the tang of replacement poly inserts can be installed with the correct up-down orientation in either instance, but the metal housing is made with a slight bias towards one end, which shifts the holes through-holes in the inserts further away from each other if the housings are installed upside-down on the block. The last photo here shows a new mount and clearly depicts the tang being away from the stepped end of the housing. The housing shown in picture of the OP's mount in upside-down.

Old 03-02-2017, 05:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by usnfenix
yea no not that's not the issue here lol, I paid careful attention to orientation of the mounts.

To update from my post I am making progress on my mounts and got the drivers side installed, had to find the sweet spot on the jack to get the clamshells to line up to the block.
You may have, but the OP's mount housing is upside-down on his block so I figured you may have the same issue.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

That's odd, I tried for fun to try and install them upside down and the tab behind the clamshell won't allow it
Attached Thumbnails Motor mount bolt won't line up-image-3541793940.jpg   Motor mount bolt won't line up-image-309885768.jpg  
Old 03-05-2017, 09:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For anyone who stumbles across this now or later, whenjoy installing the mounts, insert all bolts only finger tight before tightening any down, both on the block and the k member. Took 15 minutes once I figured that out.

Rob
Old 03-06-2017, 08:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Burken01
That's odd, I tried for fun to try and install them upside down and the tab behind the clamshell won't allow it
I believe we would find that your ability to do that results from variances of the tab form between manufacturers. All the aftermarket mounts are made in China and probably come from a few main sources over there. The tab on the Anchor brand mount I have seems to be formed a little askew, which allows the mount to be bolted on in either orientation. The important thing to be aware of is the tab will be towards the front of the engine on the passenger side, and towards the rear of the engine on the driver side when the mounts are correctly installed on the engine.

Last edited by Toddoky; 03-06-2017 at 11:51 AM.

Quick Reply: Motor mount bolt won't line up