Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil leak culprit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 09:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default oil leak culprit?

so a while back i started having an oil leak, started as a few large drops but it very quickly turned into a siv. i would start my car and back out of my drive way leaving a stream of oil. i started going through a quart every other day until i parked it over a month ago. at first i though it was a rear main but ive never seen a rear main blow through oil that fast. even shot seals dont leak that bad that i have seen. at least none leaving literal oil streaks on the concrete. it appears to mainly leak while the engine is running and it does appear to be coming from the rear of the engine. i have also read of the oil pressure sensor can break for no apparent reason. would this also cause this huge oil leak? besides those two culprits i cant think of what else could the issue be? up until this the car was leak free. the car is 02 m6 with 90k. im removing the intake for other reasons this week but i figured i would check out the sending unit anyways. would it be obvious what i am looking at if it was broke?
Old 03-22-2017, 10:24 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

My car leaked a little oil for some time and then suddenly it got much worse - puddling under the car. At first I thought it was the pressure sender, but it turned out to be the rear main seal.

So whereas I think the pressure sender is a possibility, my money would be on the rear main seal.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ya mine was within a week of starting to drip oil. the whole underside of my car is coated in oil
Old 03-24-2017, 07:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so i figured out the problem. basically im an idiot and didnt tighten down the oil filter enough. i guess i didnt use my strong hand. i started the car after doing the oil change and all was good. so i think perhaps driving the car on rough roads loosened it up. i started the car up to see the oil and it was literally pouring out of the oil filter around the seal. tightened up the filter and all is good.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:31 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

That's the kind of fix I like. You might feel dumb, but at least you're not facing a major job. I'm surprised you didn't see it reflected on your oil pressure gauge though.

I replaced the oil filter housing gasket on my car with the "new design" from GM because mine was leaking a little. Drove about 40 feet and saw my oil pressure disappear. Shut the car down, towed it back and replaced it with the old one. So much for the new design.

Quick Reply: oil leak culprit?