Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

will these bolts work for header bolts? please help

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2004, 06:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will these bolts work for header bolts? please help

i went to lowes and found some stainless steel 8mm bolts, they are the same size as the bolts that came with the jethot longtubes, the only difference is they have like 2-3 more threads, will this be ok? i will use locking washers. are stainless steel good bolts? i took the jethot bolts to lowes and the only thing they screwed into was the 8 mmx1.25 threads. thanks
Old 06-28-2004, 11:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

if i use lock washers will this be fine? are the heads tapped far enough so i can use a bolt with 2-3 more threads?
Old 06-29-2004, 12:00 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bluecmaro96
i went to lowes and found some stainless steel 8mm bolts, they are the same size as the bolts that came with the jethot longtubes, the only difference is they have like 2-3 more threads, will this be ok? i will use locking washers. are stainless steel good bolts? i took the jethot bolts to lowes and the only thing they screwed into was the 8 mmx1.25 threads. thanks

Just reuse your stockers. They will be better than some garbage you find at Lowe's which isn't an automotive grade fastener.
Old 06-29-2004, 04:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Be careful about using different metals in aluminum anything. You don't want corrosion issues.

Having said that, stainless doesn't interact with aluminum, like brass does. But stainless is a much harder metal and degrade the threads inside the head if you remove the headers a few times.

You are best using a dedicated header bolt ...
Old 06-29-2004, 04:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

what is the part number for the stock header bolts?