Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SSRA and Radiator Shrouds

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 04:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SSRA and Radiator Shrouds

I have searched but not found an answer to this question:

Preface: Newbie to modding

Question 1)
I am going to purchase the SSRA and it is recommended that the upper and lower radiator shrouds be taken off for a better fitment of the SSRA. Chevy must have put them on thier for a reason. What exactly does the upper and lower radiator shrouds do? If I take them off, am I going to have less air blowing on the radiator and "stuff" blowing up into the engine compartment?

Question 2)
Does the lower piece of the SSRA make it that more functionable or less succeptible to hydrolocking the engine? I was thinking about not installing the lower piece or just buy the SSRA2 cause the wife drives the car every so often and I know she will bang it up on a curb. Whats the big benefit of the lower section of the SSRA?

Thanks!
Old 06-28-2004, 05:22 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

1) If you remove the shrouds, you will see no change in engine temps. It does help the direct the air. It may be possible to use the SSRA and keep the shrouds, but you will need to trim the top opening bigger so the SSRA fits through. I have run my car for over a year w/o the shrouds and I seen no difference in engine temps (verified by Predator real-time diagnostics).

2) The benefit of the lower section is to catch the air coming off the nose of the car. If you are worried about your wife hitting a curb, then dont use that piece. I have never had trouble with curbs, speedbumps, or driveways when I had my SSRA, but I was a careful driver.
Old 06-28-2004, 10:09 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the reply. I was concerned with dirt, sand, water, ect. blowing up into the engine area with the deflectors off.

I use to own a 98 SS and now the 02 Z28 and never had problems with curbs, ect. The Z28 has the Eibach Pro Kit springs which lowers it a bit but still no problems hitting anything. My wife has driven the Z28 twice in the past 2 months, so it is not often that she drives it. But you should see her minivan; everytime I wash it, there is a new scratch or dent where she hit a goal post or something. She really does not like driving the camaro that much, she says she has to be too careful.

Anyway, I can get the SSRA for $199 or the SSRA2 for $129. I guess I will spring for the full SSRA, I like the idea of the air funneling up from the front and I have heard it is better during the rain. I drove in a monsoon (blinding rain) the other day coupled with the the previous owner doing a crappy job of the FRA and my air filter was pretty wet. So weather is a bit of a concern for me.

Thanks again!
Old 06-29-2004, 09:18 AM
On The Tree

Ah, just what the world needs... more drivers who don't want to be troubled with that whole "being careful" thing. I think what you need is to take off the muffelers, get the firmest suspension out there, buy racing seats with 5 point harnesses, and everything else you can think of to make sure the wife REALLY hates driving your car.
Old 06-29-2004, 10:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

lol, her minivan is easier to navigate into a parking lot space than an Fbody. if she dings that sucker up like that already, i wouldn't get the bottom piece. although my car is not lowered and i drive very carefully, i still underestimate those parking space concrete bumps and where the nose of my car is...and still scrape the front underside sometimes. but you'll hit that plastic deflector first (infront of the SSRA).
Old 06-29-2004, 12:50 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Word of warning....

Bottom half of SSRA falls off on 4500rpm launch.... happened to me last weekend.

SSRA has been nothing but a POS in terms of quality and fastening. It also hangs low and WILL get ripped off when parking near larg(er) curbstops - happend to me also.
Old 06-29-2004, 02:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
Word of warning....

Bottom half of SSRA falls off on 4500rpm launch.... happened to me last weekend.

SSRA has been nothing but a POS in terms of quality and fastening. It also hangs low and WILL get ripped off when parking near larg(er) curbstops - happend to me also.
It's too bad that the SSRA has so many problems (you arn't the first to complain), because I like how it gives the radiator more room and is made of lightweight plastic. Then again, I also like my parts to not break off.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

SouthFL is the first guy I have heard of that has had those kinds of problems. The early model SSRA has a few problems (the seams) but that has been fied. The builder of the SSRA products is a friend of mine...I can put you in touch with him if you like. He's a good guy and will tell you anything you need to know about it. It may help you make the decision easier.

PM me if you want...

-Mike
Old 06-29-2004, 09:30 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Being that it's plastic, it also does lots less damage to your underbody and will not carve into the asphalt at the track and leave a groove as you drag it a couple hundred feet down your lane after it falls off on a cluth dump launch. Since it's plastic, it just crushes, so, good design there. I'm sure no fixing of seams can support a 3500lb crush test.

I hope the new design has a better way to secure the bottom half.
Old 06-29-2004, 10:50 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 99ssleeper
SouthFL is the first guy I have heard of that has had those kinds of problems. The early model SSRA has a few problems (the seams) but that has been fied. The builder of the SSRA products is a friend of mine...I can put you in touch with him if you like. He's a good guy and will tell you anything you need to know about it. It may help you make the decision easier.

PM me if you want...

-Mike
Actually, I have personally emailed Austin and asked him some questions. He is top notch and will bend over backwards for you.
I can buy the SSRA2 ($129) and a lid($89) for just about the same price I can buy the SSRA ($199). I am in a dillema as to whether I should spend the xtra $70 for the lower piece and is it the best bang for my buck (4 kids at home I have to feed ) I am definately going to buy either the SSRA or the SSRA2 just cant decide which one. One thing I do know, Austin is top notch dude.
Old 06-29-2004, 11:58 PM
10 Second Club

I run the upper FTRA with the SSRA extension. It's welded aluminum and fits perfect. Zero problems with my car and it's lowered 1.5".
Old 06-30-2004, 06:28 PM
TECH Resident

Word of warning....

I believe you must of bumped it, causing the screws to pull out of the bumper. When you launched it fell off.
I talked to a guy whos friend was using it in the Silver State challenge in Nevada. He was seeing speeds of 150+mph for extended times in this all out cross country race with no problems.
I recommend that people should check it periodically to make sure the lower scoop is still attached completely.
After reading about your problem, longer screws will be included to attach the lower scoop to the bumper.

Al
Old 06-30-2004, 06:49 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ss1le02
I believe you must of bumped it, causing the screws to pull out of the bumper. When you launched it fell off.
I talked to a guy whos friend was using it in the Silver State challenge in Nevada. He was seeing speeds of 150+mph for extended times in this all out cross country race with no problems.
I recommend that people should check it periodically to make sure the lower scoop is still attached completely.
After reading about your problem, longer screws will be included to attach the lower scoop to the bumper.

Al

I had already reinstalled it (after tear off #1) with longer screws into the bumper. Something needs to hold it in place up where it inserts into the top half.
Yes, it's possible it had been bumped by someone, as the car was in and out of a few shops before race day. I should have checked it before racing.
Either way, it was a huge relief when the track officials handed me a box of plastic (the lower scoop) when I drove back to the tower to retrieve the part which had fallen from my car. When I initially looked back in the mirror during the run and saw a decent sized object laying in the middle of the track, I was like, "oh sh*t!"
Old 07-01-2004, 10:03 PM
TECH Resident

SSRA2 is awesome, I love it and dont have to worry about the water or busting it on a curb
Old 07-02-2004, 12:47 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WhitePheonix
SSRA2 is awesome, I love it and dont have to worry about the water or busting it on a curb
I'm glad you like it.

THe SSRA2 is very similar to the FTRA or SLP CAI but bigger. No scoop. The SSRA2 is for people that do not want to worry about curbs. It is quite a bit less expensive than the FTRA and about the same price as the SLP. Cost is $129
Old 07-02-2004, 01:43 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When my car was M6 and n/a I had an SSRA on it (with the lower) for over 280 dragstrip passes leaving at 6000+ rpm with ET streets or drags and it never fell off. Matter of fact it has survived a year in everyday driving after that for the guy I gave it to and its still on his car as far as I know.

I'm going back n/a and I'm going to put one on the car again - should have kept my old one

FWIW I used mine with all the shrouds and it fit fine, had to trim the upper naturally.

Honestly there really should be some kind of metal backing strip that the lower screws go into. I can see them easily getting ripped out of the rubber bumper cover if you hit something the right way but I guess its better then ripping the front bumper cover off if it was too well attached, I was always pretty careful and never hit anything with it..
Old 07-02-2004, 09:25 PM
TECH Resident

All SSRA's sent out from now on will have 1 inch screws instead of the 5/8 inch screws. Hope this will help.

Al at API
Old 07-04-2004, 01:44 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ss1le02
All SSRA's sent out from now on will have 1 inch screws instead of the 5/8 inch screws. Hope this will help.

Al at API
You guys need to secure/fasten the top half to the bottom for integrity.
Bigger screw will just help rip the plastic bumper. I'd rather have the smaller screws give and keep my bumper in tact.

Hope the bigger screws prevents this....
Old 07-06-2004, 12:47 AM
TECH Resident

You guys need to secure/fasten the top half to the bottom for integrity.
Bigger screw will just help rip the plastic bumper. I'd rather have the smaller screws give and keep my bumper in tact.

Hope the bigger screws prevents this....
The screws will be longer with the same diameter. I agree that larger DIAMETER screws could rip the bumper. This should help those that might bump it.
Old 07-06-2004, 07:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just don't see why launching the car would cause the lower scoop portion to tear off @ 4500 rpm launches. I usually drop the clutch from 5K launches on ET Streets & never had this problem. Then again if your yanking the front tires like 4 feet into the air then maybe,lol.

As far as the shrouds go, I removed mine. To me the shrouds are meant to keep debris from the front of the radiator & cut down on crap entering the engine space. With that understood it also cuts down on the amount of air that can help cool the radiator & engine. One of the other guys previously stated that his software didn't notice any engine temp changes with the shrouds removed. I wonder if the reading were taken at idle or while driving down the road? At any rate the shrouds make the SSRA install harder.

I still haven't had a problem with the screws coming loose or having the scoop break off. To mee the SSRA with the scoop is the only way to go. It from an engineering stand point makes sense..It rams air into the intake harder the faster you go, Fred

Last edited by Fred99LS1; 07-06-2004 at 07:34 AM.

Quick Reply: SSRA and Radiator Shrouds