Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car isnt running right.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 09:53 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car isnt running right.

Kinda scared me this morning. Started it and I was in a hurry so I had my radio on when I left. I couldnt tell you if it did it from a cold start or not.. but once I got going and came to a stop light, it would act like it was gonna die then recover. I gave it a few small revs to about 1,500 rpm and it would drop down to bellow the 500 rpm mark then act like it was gonna die and recover. It did it 3 times in a row then quit.. after about another minute to min and a half it did it again just once.. then several min later did it again. I didnt hear it anymore after that, but just got me a little confused. They Firehawk only has 27K miles anyone knoe what it could be? I had a full tank of gas, and this is the first time I've went past an oil change on the car. I'm about 1,000 miles over the 3K but I'm using mobil 1 10w-30 so I didnt think it would be all that bad.
Old 07-07-2004, 09:58 AM
Launching!

Only thing I can think to do is check the fuel filter and maybe change it out since they are only a couple bucks.. BUT the car only has 27K miles on it, so the fuel filter/sparkpulgs and wires should all be fine i would think.
Old 07-07-2004, 04:37 PM
12 Second Club

I would start by changing the fuel filter. You could have gotten some bad gas too. Its happened to me before.
Old 07-07-2004, 04:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like the PCM is doing a random idle relearn. Mine has done it before. It should clear up in the next drive or two.
Old 07-07-2004, 05:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

That happened to me when my battery died.
I got a new battery and it was back to normal.
Old 07-07-2004, 06:05 PM
TECH Regular

mine does something weird like that also. it drives fine but when i put it in neutral to stop, the rpm's do about the same thing, they drop below 1000, then go back up to around 1200 or so... it does it about every time i stop...any suggestions? what kind of fuel filter should i get? and how do i change it?
Old 07-08-2004, 02:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

I also have had the same thing come up. Check your fuel filter like the guys said. Mine was fine, but still. Also, check your oil REALLY carefully. 1 month after this happend to me the first time, I checked my oil to find it full of rust. I'm sure you're fine, but check it out anyway. GL.