Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems after Coil Pack Relocation

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2004, 01:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Problems after Coil Pack Relocation

OK, did the Thunder Racing Coil Pack Relocation and have some problems now. Kit came with Taylor 10.4 mm wires and I did not change plugs(NGK TR55).

Problems are:

1) I have this "pop" sound in the engine and you can visibly see
the engine shake and move when it happens. Happens every few seconds.

2) Pull the ECM Batt and ECM Ign. fuses for reset the SES light I had from an earlier header install(inefficient high flow cats)
and started the car and it's sounds like a 30-30 rifle going off.

Questions are:

1) I checked all the plug wires and they seem to be on tight. Checked all the coils and they are on properly in the proper order.
IF it's a misfire, will the SES light blink on and off and how long does it usually take for this to happen.

2) Are the 10.4 wires OK to use with TR55 plugs or should I go back to a stock plug?

3) I'm half afraid to even pull the car out of the driveway with both these noises. Should I drive it a while and see if the backfiring stops after the idle re-learns?

4) What could be causing the "pop" sound and the engine jerking like that?

Thanks
Bryan
Old 07-11-2004, 02:41 PM
TECH Addict

If you look at the engine bay while the motor is running can you see sparks?This is easier to do in the dark.

Are you absolutely sure all wired are routed to their proper cylinders?

Are the coils grounding out? Again check for spark jumping while the motor is running.
Old 07-11-2004, 02:54 PM
TECH Addict

Well, it looks like the backfiring was simply the car relearning idle. It not doing that now after a few minutes.

I let a run about 3-4 minutes and it's shaking and banging pretty good. I think some of the popping I'm hearing is actually the headers hitting the floorboard(Jet Hot LTs).

Revved it up to about 2000 to 2500 and it seemed to run smooth. Let it idle back down and the shaking starts again. I did get a flashing SES light after 2-3 minutes so it looks like a misfire for sure and I assume that's enough to cause the motor to shake????

What I don't understand is I was VERY careful when disassembling the coil packs to label each one and label the harnesses that go into each coil.
If I have to take all these out to check them does anyone know if the harness wires have some identification already on them as to what coil(therefore cylinder) they go to. I took the labels off after installing.

Thanks
Bryan
Old 07-11-2004, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

The stock plugs that connect the harness to the coils should be numbered as to whick one goes to each cylinder, they will have an odd and an even number on them, which means that they could be used on either side, make sure that whatever number that plug has on it goes to the correct cylinder. If you have one of those laser temp guages (a very hand tool for about 100 bucks) you can take a temp off each header primary and the one that is misfiring will be cooler than the rest.
Old 07-12-2004, 11:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

you got the coil wires on wrong they are prob reversed on one side try changing them and see what happens

Jay
Old 07-12-2004, 12:07 PM
TECH Addict

Just did that and it's exactly what was wrong. Had them lined up as far as plug to plug in the right order, but had the harness running in the wrong direction. Purrs like a kitten now, well actually roars like a lion with the longtubes and Loudmouth!!

Thanks for the help and suggestions, I'm a coil relocation expert now!!

Thanks
Bryan

Quick Reply: Problems after Coil Pack Relocation