Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine removal from the top

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2004, 03:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Engine removal from the top

If lifting an LS1 engine with a hoist, which block holes will support the lift? Do the heads need to be attached for this type of lift?
Can't find the answer in the Search. Thanks
Old 07-11-2004, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive always used the acc. holes in the heads, but you have to find a bolt that threads all the way in and use use big washers.
Old 07-11-2004, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I pull from the top, I use the 1 acc hole on the front of each head to attach the cherry picker. Then I put a jack that rolls easily on the tranny mount (Take off the tranny crossmember), make sure the jack handle is pointed towards the rear of the car. Jack up the cherry picker a little and undo the motormounts, jack it up a little more and take the motormount supports off the k-member. Then jack the motor up as fas as it will go and pull the cherry picker backwards, it will pull the motor with it and drag the jack along to support the tranny, you will need to jack up the tranny mount a little as you go, but just keep jacking the motor up and pulling the cherrypicker back, once the front of the motor has cleared the radiator support lower the jack on the tranny and jack up the cherrypicker until the tailshaft clears the radiator support, and swing the motor out of the car. (It really helps to have 2 people doing this, one to keep the motor from swinging and one to work the picker) good luck