Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it just my set up or have you run into the same problem? (short belt)

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 03:53 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Is it just my set up or have you run into the same problem? (short belt)

I have the new style ASP, (Im not sure if its any smaller or larger in diameter) the Meziere electric water pump and I removed the power steering, but the 51" belt did not work. Actually, I figured since most were using the 51", that I would go with a half inch shorter so that it has some tension on it. I even made a rough measurement on the car and it was around 51 inches and that was with the tensioner all the way out of course. Reason I wanted it a tad smaller is because I ran into this problem when I was buying the belt for the ASP and it wasnt tight enough and it would slip and make a bunch of screeching. I took it off shortly after and the belt was tore up. Not too bad, but still. Anyhow, I went to the auto parts store and got a 50 1/4 because they didnt have the 50 1/2, but it didnt fit. So I went back asked for the 50 1/2, but for whatever reason they didnt have that belt size in the half. Its weird. They had the 50 1/4, 50 3/4, 51, 51 1/4, 51 3/4 but no 51 1/2. Anyhow, Im getting my belts from Napa which is 20 mins. away and Ive already been up there 3 times and still no luck. The last belt that I tried was a 51 1/4, but it too was too small. So the next step I can go to is a 51 3/4 because Auto Zone doesnt carry a 51 1/2 belt. They only have whole sizes. Im just wondering if it was my set up or if anyone has run into this same problem. The 51" definately doesnt fit. Its either go back to Napa and exhange it again for the 51 3/4 or return it, and go to Auto Zone for the 52". What do you think that I should do?
Old 07-19-2004, 07:01 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well took the belt back to Napa and got the 522k6 from Autozone, but its a little too big. It fitss but the tensioner is almost all the way out. I really wanted it in the middle between the 2nd and 3rd mark. The 522 is just a little over 52 inches. They didnt have a 52 inch belt exactly. So Napa, Autozone, or Oriellys has a 52" belt. Where can I buy one?