Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need some help please!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 11:44 AM
...with cheese.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default I need some help please!

Yesterday I decided to go ahead and try to install my SLP Crank Pulley. I got the gator belts from autozone and the 3 arm puller, I thought I was pretty well set. I was under the impression that you could use the factory bolt to reinstall the pulley. Come to find out it's better just to replace it. Anyway, I got the first pulley off with an air wrench and a little prying towards the end. I checked the crank and everything looked good. First thing I noticed when installing the SLP pulley was it was pretty snug, so I got a 2x4 to use to tap it on a little ways so that I could thread the bolt and finish the job. I didn't have enough room to move the hammer and the pulley WOULD NOT go on any further... It just didn't want to move and the bolt didnt even begin to thread yet. So I take the fan off the radiator to get some more working room, while my friend was under the car with a hammer about to attempt working the pulley on a little further he pulled it back too far... and guess what, right through the damn radiator... It's a nightmare, I had to drive my other car to work today and my SS is sitting in his driveway leaking god knows what... I guess now that you have an idea of what is going on you could suggest several things. I DO have a new bolt, I managed to get my hands on a brand new factory bolt. First thing I would like to do is remove the radiator so I'll have all the room I need to work with that pulley before I start on the front stuff again. Is there a better way to seat the pulley some before I thread the bolt? Should I go look for a longer version from lowes or something and put washers on it? Or would you just beat it with a hammer and a 2x4 a little bit? One more question, what is the best way to take the radiator out? Do I need to bleed the A/C to lift the radiator? ohhh... being a newbie can be a blast... Thank god I havn't sold my other car yet. Thanks guys! Wish me luck... and other tips would be much appreciated, and I do need to have this car by monday, so ordered a special pulley mounter is kinda tough.
Old 07-15-2004, 01:31 PM
...with cheese.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If I went to an autoparts store could I find the 16mmx2mmx120 longer bolt I needed to press it on there? When I'm using that Do I go all the way or just enough to get the first bolt in there? Then when the first bolt threads a few times torque it to 240... then put the new bolt in? Then I can start on the radiator... woo