Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP SS muffler vs Z28 stock muffler

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 10:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SLP SS muffler vs Z28 stock muffler

I have an 02 Z28 with the stock catback and muffler.

I have heard that the increased horsepower from an SS vs Z28 is mainly due to the restrictive exhaust. I found a SLP SS muffler very cheap and will be replacing my Z28 stock muffler with the SLP muffler. Will I be waisting my money or gaining HorsePower?
Old 07-16-2004, 11:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Well it depend's how much they want for the exhaust. Spend the money on a cutout instead. A cutout will be worth your money.
Old 07-17-2004, 02:24 AM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 2_wacko
Well it depend's how much they want for the exhaust. Spend the money on a cutout instead. A cutout will be worth your money.
I have a Z28 as well and kept my stock exhaust and muffler but just added a cut out to bypass it so it's restrictiveness is of little concern to me, unless the cut out is capped of course LOL.
Old 07-17-2004, 08:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2_wacko
I bought the muffler for $40 plus shipping, it came off an 02 SS. I had a 98 SS a while back and it had the SLP exhaust with the single tip. I liked the sound, so I will give this one a try and see what happens. I was wondering what is the difference between the SS muffler and the Z28 muffler internals.

I dont want to go with a cutout right now as this is a daily driver. I want to keep the sound down to a mininum but still get some better performance.

Thanks for the reply!