Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water pump info?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 09:59 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Water pump info?

Hello. I am now gathering information for my Head and cam swap. I am going to be adding a double roller timing chain and a ported oil pump. Is it a good idea to upgrade the water pump? The only aftermarket part i found was a electric water pump. I been told by my buddy that the Ls1 cooling is not so great and one head gets hotter then the other. How are the water pump and cooling on the ls1s? Is it wise to improve the water pump when doing a head and cam swap?Have you ever heard of the ls1s water pump craping out? What other mods will be good when doing a head and cam swap also?
THANKS!!!!!!
Old 10-07-2004, 10:12 AM
11 Second Club

If you are not having any cooling problems now then a head/cam swap will not cause you any problems. The stock pump works well. The only reason to change over to electric is to make more power thru less paracitic drag. The EWP will not out flow the stocker. As a matter of fact it flows less than the stocker above 5k rpm. Unless you plan on running the motor above 5k for an extended period of time you will be fine though.

As for one head running hotter than the other, that is news to me. I have never heard of or seen that before.

Brad
Old 10-07-2004, 10:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Stick with the stock water pump. If you want to improve cooling somewhat, do a search on the 160* thermostat mod.

-Mike
Old 10-12-2004, 08:50 PM
TECH Regular

im doing the head and cam and my waterpump is already leaking so im just going with a stock pump and the 160 thermostat