Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

true dual question

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2004, 09:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default true dual question

I have looked at just about every picture of true dual setups and I just come in from outside with my car on jackstands looking under it at possibilities. The part that looks like its gonna be too low for my taste is where the mufflers will sit. Now on the passenger side there is a ton of room to tuck the bullet that I am gonna go with if I decide on duals, but on the driver side there is the torque arm. It looks to me that there will no sharing of the driveshaft tunnel's space on that side to get some of the bullet higher than the actual floorpan. So the bullets are gonna be below the floorpan it seems.

I looked at the TSP dual exhaust and the whole systems is flat. What I mean is that it doesnt look like its bent to upward any, so basicly the exhaust system will lie flat on the ground if it was assembled off the car. If this is the case then the rear section of the exhaust will be completely below the rear floorpans. It looks like it will get drug off.

I also noticed on the ls1sounds website under pics I saw an exhaust at the bottom with Edelbrock mufflers and it lookedlike the rear floorpans had been relieved somehow. Has anyone done this and if you do clearance the rear floorpans will the rear seats still be able to be used? Thanks, Mike.
Old 10-24-2004, 09:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a set of 2.5" duals on a lower car and they can be a pain in the ***. I have 12" bullets and they do rub and hit the ground. I tucked them up as well as I could but the problem I ran into was with the brake lines. The pipes are close to them and I had to wrap them in sheilding but one day I parked on a high spot and the pipe was touching the wrap. It boiled the fuid and I lost most of my brakes. If my car wasn't so low and if I ran the shocks stiff I would probrably have no issues. I did see pics of a set up not long ago on here where the guy ran both the pipes down the passsanger side. It was a pretty neat set up and I might try it over the winter.

Last edited by GM Muscle; 10-24-2004 at 09:35 PM.
Old 10-24-2004, 09:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have no problems with my sweet thunders. They are 3".
Old 10-24-2004, 09:40 PM
Teching In

Location: Indianapolis in summer, Bloomington (IU) during school

all the pics of true duals?? i have looked all over for pics, any one have any just send them to me Z28hugger@sbcglobal.net
thank you
Old 10-24-2004, 09:47 PM
TECH Junkie

scroll down till you see true duals here
Old 10-24-2004, 09:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

you can always flip the tab that holds the hard lines up, it raises them a good 3" from what i've been told. then you won't have to worry about them any more
Old 10-24-2004, 10:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had 3" duals and lowered 1" and I couldn't go over speed bumps anymore so I went back to a y-pipe and dual cutouts. I had big mufflers though that couldn't tuck up very high. A bullet muffler will give you much better ground clearence.
Old 10-24-2004, 10:36 PM
TECH Junkie

I just went and measured my rear floorpan to the ground and it was 5-1/2". Can anybody confirm this on a stock ride height car?

For the record I measure the lowest pint of my Borla cat back which is right before it makes its bend to go over the axle and it was about 4-1/4" to the ground.

If I do go with true dual's Im gonna buy the X pipe setup from summit for 89 bucks along with a pair of the dynomax bullets and do it up myself with the help of a friend that has a bender

a simple cut of the tubes that run into the x adjust the width of the system but the tubes that go into the headers will have to be tweaked a little
Old 10-24-2004, 11:12 PM
TECH Addict

i use to run true duals on my t.a over the axle. i think alot of ppl use x pipes but mine was a 2.5in pipe from each header. the only problem i started to run into was the plate/bracket that was used to hold the pipes away from each (going over the axle part) other kept breaking. oh i was running duel bullets also. had to take them off and use a y pipe cuz car was tooo loud for parents and some neighbors
Old 10-24-2004, 11:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Full-Force, that's Blaster's car that has the duals and the modified floor pan for his Edlebrock mufflers. Here's a link from the other day that he responded to. Also, there are some pics that I posted of dual pipes running down the passenger side of the car that might give you some ideas:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/230688-has-anyone-done-type-true-duals.html