Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smog on Macs w/ Vortec

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 12:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Smog on Macs w/ Vortec

Hey guys. I've been scarse for awhile while I sold my car. I see we've got a new calandar! Very nice.

-->ME

I'm back with a need for some advise. The '01SS I'm looking at has catted Macs, and a vortec Super Charger w/ aftercooler. I know the Mac's won't pass the visual, but will they pass the sniffer when used in conjunction with the S/C? With what I'm planning on spending on this car, I'd be S.O.L. if I couldn't get it registered.

Thanks a lot. Any input would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 11-04-2004, 04:30 PM
12 Second Club

Get it and pick up a stock exhaust for emissions time.

FWIW, I know folks who have passed on the roller with Mac mids+cats and a 224-ish sized cam.

Whether or not yours will pass depends on the tune and how the car is running, but I'd suspect it should pass if the only mods are midlengths/cats and the blower. Might have to introduce the smog tester to Ben Franklin so he overlooks the visual, or just throw a stock exhaust on for testing which should pass with no problem. Lots of stock exhaust for sale around here, wonder why ?

Bad30th
Old 11-04-2004, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well that's good news. This car has a stock cam, and was dyno tuned. (I don't remember the shop name though). It's putting down 452rwhp!!

I see you're in SD also. Do you know if the DMV does a visual when you're getting your tags? I think I know a guy who will ignore the visual, but I'll have to make sure first. How hard do you think it is to replace Macs with stock exhaust? Maybe a day's work?
Old 11-04-2004, 08:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CaptUSA
Well that's good news. This car has a stock cam, and was dyno tuned. (I don't remember the shop name though). It's putting down 452rwhp!!

I see you're in SD also. Do you know if the DMV does a visual when you're getting your tags? I think I know a guy who will ignore the visual, but I'll have to make sure first. How hard do you think it is to replace Macs with stock exhaust? Maybe a day's work?
Swapping the exhausts should be a piece of cake. If you have access to a lift, 2 hours tops.

As for getting your plates, I don't believe they inspect your vehicle. The state smog may be required as soon as the car is California registered. I'm in the same boat as you. But I already have the stock exhaust back on.
Old 11-05-2004, 11:33 AM
12 Second Club

I've only renewed my registration by mail on cars that were purchased new, so I'm not sure what registering a used car (or out-of-state car) entails.

You might ask around here, local UBB for SD Fbody enthusiasts :
http://sdcarscene.com/eve/ubb.x?a=fr...6054&f=9456094

Good luck and see you on the road !
Rob (Bad30th)

Originally Posted by CaptUSA

Old 11-06-2004, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks guys! It looks like I'll be picking it up!! It's an '01 SS with 9,000 miles on it. Vortec, Macs, $1500 sound system, built in radar detector..... the works! Hopefully I'll be able to pick it up in 2 weeks. I must say, I'm a little nervous about having 452rwhp at my disposal in a 6 speed!

(but I'm sure I'll get over it)