Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are the foam Pieces on the bottom of the intake really nessasary?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2004, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Are the foam Pieces on the bottom of the intake really nessasary?

Like the tittle says.
Old 11-05-2004, 05:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those were there to help keep water from collecting under the intake, the seals on the knock sensors aren't real great at keeping water out of the knock sensor wells and if flooded they can corrode the connectors.........and the next thing you know you've got knock sensor codes popping up. There was a factory bulletin on this a few years ago about making a "dam" around those knock sensor wells with RTV silicone in an effort to keep them dry. We don't get THAT MUCH rain out here do we?? This is one of the reasons that the newest engines are getting relocated knock sensors.
Old 11-05-2004, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Oscar Will
Those were there to help keep water from collecting under the intake, the seals on the knock sensors aren't real great at keeping water out of the knock sensor wells and if flooded they can corrode the connectors.........and the next thing you know you've got knock sensor codes popping up. There was a factory bulletin on this a few years ago about making a "dam" around those knock sensor wells with RTV silicone in an effort to keep them dry. We don't get THAT MUCH rain out here do we?? This is one of the reasons that the newest engines are getting relocated knock sensors.
Thanx for the reply, I Already got it RTV'd. BTW I used to live in simi valley back in 95. I was there during that big Quake, I used to live in those apartments all the way south side of yosimite ave, right by Chuy's. Cool town, Lots of gun tote'n advacates that want to preserve thier right's to bear arm's in that town.
Old 11-06-2004, 03:21 AM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

I've heard that the foam is also there to cut down on resonance/buzzing vibration noises that not having the inserts tends to generate.