Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question about MSD 8.5 wires

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about MSD 8.5 wires

So I ordered my tr6 plugs, and msd super conductor wires last week, and I just got them today. I plan on putting them on this weekend, but I have a quick question. Why the hell is there a Delphi boot on these wires? That would mean that the boot is a Gm/Delphi part, not an msd specific boot. What the hell is up with this? Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks
Fry
Old 11-16-2004, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

That is odd. They weren't on mine for my 94! It is probably just a thing for the packaging company to say that they are a specific replacement.

-Todd
Old 11-16-2004, 08:20 PM

The boot is probably the only thing that's Delphi. Delphi doesn't mean it's bad either. MSD or whoever makes the wires for MSD, just used the OEM Delphi boots because it was a good design. They didn't want to reinvent the wheel.
Old 11-17-2004, 04:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

I know thats the only thing on it that is delphi, because everything else has MSD plastered all over it. Whereas the boot only has the word Delphi, in small engraved letters that you wouldnt notice from a glance. Here is what I think happened. The super conductor 8.5 wires are supposed to have a 90* angled boot on them. The ls1 cant have a 90* boot, rather it is something like 120*. I guess that msd didnt want to design a boot for a specific application, because it looks like all other applications (most at least) have the msd 90* boot. So they just used the stock boot off of the stock delphi wires. I know delphi makes good parts, if they didnt gm and them wouldnt have such good outsourcing relationship.

Fry
Old 11-17-2004, 06:31 PM
Launching!

the plug end, or the coil end.
mine had the msd boots on the plug end, cant remember what the coil end is.
(my wife has the car right now so cant go look, will later)
gray with raised msd letters.
the car is a 2000 z28
Old 11-17-2004, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

The plug end, the end that has the angle on it. The coil boot is the gray msd boot, but the plug boot is the delphi part.

Fry