Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header Help!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header Help!!!!!!!

been asking if it matters what brand of headers i buy. are they basically the same? i know the pacesetters are pretty cheap. need to know if theres different things about them i need to know. SLP's, Kooks's, Flowtech, Jet Hot....gimme the scoop
Old 11-18-2004, 12:46 AM
TECH Addict

okay, if you dont minf spending the cash..go for either a set of kooks, QTP'z, or PPC check your sponsors----------------------------------------------------------->>>

go witha 1 3/4 size.these are made from stainless steel and will never rust andwil transmit less heat. also, they are of a particular design (all the same...i think) that fit really, really good. they go for about 700-800 plus y-pipe.

Your next bet is a set of hookers, jet hots, flp, dynatech, etc. They are of lesser value and some have fitment issues.....you really get what you paid for in this one...........they go for 500-650 plus y-pipe.

However, the pacesetters i believe were just redesigned and fit really good.......and those are pretty much the cheapest i believe.

If you dont go stainless, make sure you opt for coasted headers, its a bit more $$$ but well worth it.........trust me.you dont want your headers rusting or "melting" everything around it!!!

good luck and take your time..that is probably the best advice you can get........and dont be afraid to ask questions....even though is forum has been around for ever and almost ever question has been asked an disected by its members, they sometimes feel like its a waste to answer but dont be afraid.......rredearch as much as you can......also, use this link: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139142
its written by jrp and compiled ton of info......good luck and keep it safe!
Old 11-18-2004, 02:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go with the kooks if you have the $$.but then Im looking at the edelbrocks and just have them coated locally.good luck.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:27 AM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Power wise they might all yield roughly similar gains but as far as quality/longevity/consistency/price goes I would go with QTPs.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:15 PM
11 Second Club

I had the Jet hot headers with Hooker Y pipe... the rusted after like 6-8 months... i made the mistake not to do it right the first time..

i ended up getting a set of Stainless QTP headers.. .never been happier
Old 11-18-2004, 02:18 PM
TECH Resident

It hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet, but SLP headers significantly lower your ground clearance.
Old 11-18-2004, 02:33 PM
TECH Regular

I got the Kooks because of fit and finish. I knew i only wanted to do this one time, so i saved up for either the QTP's or kooks. I just got a better deal on the kooks at the time. I believe a member here got the QTP headers with the race merge collectors and really liked the extra hp the collectors provided. Those are in the 1k range, just a bit rich for me though.
I agree with obZidian....you get what you pay for here.
Old 11-18-2004, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've got coated Hooker LT's and absolutely love them. No clearance issues at all and are way cheaper than Kooks and QTP's.
Old 11-19-2004, 05:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Durien
I had the Jet hot headers with Hooker Y pipe... the rusted after like 6-8 months... i made the mistake not to do it right the first time..

i ended up getting a set of Stainless QTP headers.. .never been happier
Did you get a y-pipe with them cats, no cats?