Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Throwing codes after Mac install.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 03:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Throwing codes after Mac install.

I just had Mac headers/cats/Y pipe installed and now my car has a DTC of P1133 Engine O2 BNK 1 SEN1-Switching:

2 pending:
* P0135 HO2S Heater Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 1
* P1133 Engine O2 BNK 1 SEN1-Switching

I beleive this means that '1' of 2 (which is '1', the driver side Cat?) has a bad reading at the O2 sensor and probably needs to be replaced.

If so, I think this happened when the shop installed my headers and Cats and I want to know if they should be responsible and if you all think this is a bad O2 that needs to be replaced or if it could be something else like a bad wire?

*** also the onboard oxygen sensor monitoring tests shows that BNK1 Sensor 1 has the same voltage readings and switch times as Bank 2 sensor 2.
Old 12-12-2004, 07:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just installed my MAC headers and ORY. Before the install, last weekend, my SES light had started ocassion ally coming on. When I changed my headers/CATS out for the MAC's, it went totally away. Sounds like one of your O2 sensors got banged.

Just make sure a O2 sensor wire didn't get up against the headers and get burned.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:57 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JEB99TA
I just installed my MAC headers and ORY. Before the install, last weekend, my SES light had started ocassion ally coming on. When I changed my headers/CATS out for the MAC's, it went totally away. Sounds like one of your O2 sensors got banged.

Just make sure a O2 sensor wire didn't get up against the headers and get burned.

My SES did not come on until after the install. I looked under the car and both O2 sensors look fine and it does not appear as though either of the wires are against the exhaust.

So, do you think that replacing the O2 sensor will resolve? If so, how do I know which is which (bnk 1 or bnk 2, driver or passenger side)?
Old 12-15-2004, 09:52 AM
TECH Addict

TTT

Not allot of 'tech' help.

The O2 sensor for Bnk 1 and sensor 1 is the driver side (bnk 1) and the sensor 1 is the first from the engine of 2.

Thanks 'JEB99TA' being the only response.

The shop should be responsible but seeing that a shop is responsible depends on their ethics/morals and sometimes what can be proven in court. But, low and behold the shop that is without morals/ethics because Karma can be a mother ******.

Well... I pretty much answered my own questions with some help from JEB99TA.

Old 12-15-2004, 09:58 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you had the rear O2's deleted? It's a start.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the p0135 ad p0155 codes are normal after header installs. i get them once in a while when the car is cold but i just reset them. chances are that o2 sensor is shot. if i were you i would just go ahead and replace them both. and in the future u will prob get more help with thie in the PCM/Diagnostics section
Old 12-15-2004, 10:02 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
Do you need to delete the O2's with the Mac headers and Cats? I thought that I could keep the O2s with the cats?

BTW, thanks for replying.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
they codes he is getting are from bank one sensor one which is the pre-cat o2 sensor on the driver side. so the rears arent throwing the code
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ActionJack
Do you need to delete the O2's with the Mac headers and Cats? I thought that I could keep the O2s with the cats?

BTW, thanks for replying.
if u have cats u can keep the rear o2's
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
the p0135 ad p0155 codes are normal after header installs. i get them once in a while when the car is cold but i just reset them. chances are that o2 sensor is shot. if i were you i would just go ahead and replace them both. and in the future u will prob get more help with thie in the PCM/Diagnostics section
Thanks. I will definately hit that section next time.

I have the car on my laptop now. I will try clearing the codes and see whats what.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

easy way to check is switch the rear driver side with the one up front on the driver side and see if the code goes away. its a 22mm wrench i think, make sure the exhaust is just cold
Old 12-15-2004, 10:06 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
easy way to check is switch the rear driver side with the one up front on the driver side and see if the code goes away. its a 22mm wrench i think, make sure the exhaust is just cold
It is HOT now but I am gonna see if the shop can check that. I also think the steering linkage is rubbing the driver side header when I put the engine under force. I cannot beleive it
Old 12-15-2004, 10:07 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I get that pre-cat O2 code about every 6 moths. I change out the O2 and it goes away.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

prob be a good time for new motor mounts. but i would def. go back to the shop on this one. the precat code i get when the 02's are cold its really common. the o2s should still be fine they just arent getting hot enough. clear the code and start it up when its warm and that code shouldnt come back on. i just had mine deleted fromt the computer.
Old 12-15-2004, 05:20 PM
TECH Addict

OK... I cleared the code and it came back after 20 miles. I took it to the shop and they swapped the O2 from the driver side closest to the engine with one from a LS1 that they removed the Cats from. I cleared the codes aagain and after 20+ miles it has not thrown a code. Looks like problem solved.

Also, the steering linkage was adjusted a bit more and the one heat shield by the driver side Cat was pressed against the body so we bent it away and the noise has improved. No rub with the steering linkage either.

Thanks for the support
Old 12-15-2004, 06:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

glad to hear!
Old 12-15-2004, 10:28 PM
Launching!

I had the same problem when i had the MAC cats on my car as well. It worked fine for around a month, then it started throwing codes. My car was still under warranty and chevy said it was a faulty O2 sensor (wouldnt tell me the code) and replaced it, then they told me i had no more exhaust warranty (which i didnt really care since i didnt have a chevy exhaust system anymore...).

My light was off for about 2 days and then it returned to i went to a jiffy lube or somewhere like that and i dont remember exactly what they said, but i believe the reading's were not within the range

I think the problem lies with the flow properties of the cats. How did i fix it you ask? I bought a ORY and used ls1edit to delete the sensors.

Sorry i could not be of anymore "tech"nical service but that is what happened to me.

Edit: glad to hear you got it fixed
Old 12-16-2004, 08:05 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks Lucian

The problem with www.ls1tech.com is we (me) expect it to be the best site for LS1 technical info.

I also hope the codes do not come back. I do not want to go off road Y pipe without cats... I am thinking of getting LS1edit to be able to delete and /or modify settings like MAF and others.

I am glad to hear yours worked out as well.
Old 12-16-2004, 03:12 PM
TECH Regular

I had the same problem with mine. I installed O2 Sims and the codes went away.
Old 12-16-2004, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

So are you running the MAC cats? My MACs didn't come close to rubbing anything and the only code I got was a "misfire", which was my fault for not seating a plug wire all the way. Hope you enjoy your MACs, but I would ditch the MAC cats...even your stock cats flow better if you want to use those. You could also lose the ball-flanges if you wanted a couple more HP...