Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

racing headers or not

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 11:22 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default racing headers or not

I am going to order some Pacesetters headers, and am not sure if I should go smog or no smog. I am going to have TD's installed without the cats so should I still get the smog headders with the O2 extensions? If I get the no smog headders what mods do I need to do to the O2 sensors. Any help or info would be greatly appriciated. Thanks.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:37 AM
On The Tree

You'd have to get 02 sims or edit out the rear 02's in the computer. The race headers also lack connections for the air pipes and egr (can't remember if 2000's had egr or not), so those systems would have to be removed and edited out of the computer too. From what I understand, the only real benefits to doing all this are a cleaner engine bay and easier access to do things like plug changes in the future.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:45 AM
Teching In

if you are going with an ORY, then i would say go with the race style headers.
Old 12-13-2004, 01:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you will have to remove air and egr systems...not a big deal...i have the race style headers no probs here at all...you can either deal with the check engine light being on, getting 02 sims, or getting it deleted with ls1 edit
Old 12-13-2004, 01:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

just find a buddy nearby that has hptuners for the same year model and tune that stuff out. i deleted my AIR/EGR when i did my ls6 intake install. now that i'm install headers, its no biggie. i've had a check engine light for 12k miles lol. you get used to it, its only annoying @ nite. since you're going w/true duals, and thats about as anti-smog as it gets, i'd say go w/race headers too.

btw, STLTA, true duals utilizes either an x-pipe, or h-pipe.....no y-pipe involved
Old 12-13-2004, 02:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
just find a buddy nearby that has hptuners for the same year model and tune that stuff out. i deleted my AIR/EGR when i did my ls6 intake install. now that i'm install headers, its no biggie. i've had a check engine light for 12k miles lol. you get used to it, its only annoying @ nite. since you're going w/true duals, and thats about as anti-smog as it gets, i'd say go w/race headers too.

btw, STLTA, true duals utilizes either an x-pipe, or h-pipe.....no y-pipe involved
don't mind me..... haha. i guess i just saw no cats and replied.

TD's.... got it, no i am not a complete idiot. yes go with the race style, no need for all that other stuff, clean up that engine bay. it will save you a little too, my race style were cheaper.
Old 12-13-2004, 04:08 PM
Teching In

looks like ill go ahead and get the race headers. Thanks for the help.