Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulley Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 10:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pulley Question

What does a crank pulley exactly do? And why does an aftermarket pulley produce more power?

Just thinking here and I couldn't figure out what the hell a crank pulley does besides spin some of the external stuff, so I can't figure out why it would produce more HP

Sorry for the question, I am just trying to figure out how a motor works and all the accessories
Old 12-14-2004, 11:21 AM
TECH Veteran

http://www.lmperformance.com/598/1.html Scroll down and read the small print it will tell you.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just think of it like this. ever ride a bike? u know how on the pedals there are 2 or 3 gears. if you put it on the biggest one its hard as hell to pedal fast and the small one its a hell of a lot easier. it just makes it easier on your engine to tune the accesories, requires less force to be soaked up in driving the pulleys.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:38 AM
TECH Addict

I figured thats what it did....just thinking but a pulley should add more power down low than it does up top right, at least that makes sense to me.
Does anyone know if the accessories robbing of HP is straight line or does it steadily decrease with more rpms?
Old 12-14-2004, 12:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good question ill try and find a graph. i would imagine there would be a larger increase top end because as power increases more you should gain more. but then thinking of the power steering pump. in increase the pump speed and make fluid flow with more velocity, same with water pump, it takes more work to do that so i think it would be somewhat exponential curve seeing the higher rpms there will be less work required as before and at those rpms a little bit of help could make a big difference
Old 12-14-2004, 12:30 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2002 Trans Am
I figured thats what it did....just thinking but a pulley should add more power down low than it does up top right, at least that makes sense to me.
From what I understand it's function/benefit INCREASES as RPMs increase so it might actually help more up top than down low.
Old 12-15-2004, 02:19 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks guys for your help, this car stuff is pretty intriguing, and even though I have been reading the board for over 2 years there seems to be more and more information out there.

Hell maybe i'll forget about getting a finance degree and start designing motors

Hows it going Marc, haven't talked to you in a while, i've been spending a lot of time in the FI forums I want to put that tranny out of its misery...anyhow my car is doing pretty good, I think the problem I had at the track was a freak thing because the tranny has been fine since....I just have to get out to the track one day before it closes....unless its already closed (Atco that is)