Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

neone running duals off mac mids.. how are u doing it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2004, 06:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default neone running duals off mac mids.. how are u doing it?

just wondering how ur doing it. i just cant stand the damn b&b catback i had to put on the car, the one at age 17 my dad forced me to go with.. its toooo quiet and i belive robs to much power.. im going to put a cam in the car and im not going to be able to even here it unless i open the cutout which then becomes to much and also illegal so what should i do???

the mac mids dont have a way to just bolt a x pipe up to them.. and not sure i want to somehow custom fit a xpipe to it and weld it .... would ruin any resale value of the headers! now cant i just leave the ypipe bolted up on either side to the header for about say 6-8 inches, just until the point it comes down and levels off, then get an x pipe setup from there on back??

hell im lost i just know i dont really want to give up my new macs just yet.. and i cant run the c/o open, but im tired of that shitty catback.. hell one of the tips fell of cuase the clamp rusted and got scraped up anyways. **** has got to go!
Old 12-26-2004, 06:10 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

under the exhaust in the duals section theres a pic of Lanes TD's done on macs.
Old 12-26-2004, 06:10 PM
Teching In

lanesperformance.com makes true duals for mac mids
Old 12-26-2004, 06:34 PM
11 Second Club

thanks!!!
Old 12-26-2004, 06:55 PM
11 Second Club

yea something like this.. got that off of there site.. however im sure since there using the stock y pipe or atleast 6-8 inches of it there and then custom pipe all the way back to the x and bullets im going to pay out of the *** to have that done... im thinking 350$ anyways...

neone done something like that on there own?
Attached Thumbnails neone running duals off mac mids.. how are u doing it?-lanes_xpipe1.jpg  
Old 12-26-2004, 07:11 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Originally Posted by ZMC_Racing
yea something like this.. got that off of there site.. however im sure since there using the stock y pipe or atleast 6-8 inches of it there and then custom pipe all the way back to the x and bullets im going to pay out of the *** to have that done... im thinking 350$ anyways...

neone done something like that on there own?
they dont use any of the stock Y as the macs wont fit a stock Y. the setup pictured bolts directly too the collectors on the macs.
Old 12-26-2004, 07:23 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by jrp
they dont use any of the stock Y as the macs wont fit a stock Y. the setup pictured bolts directly too the collectors on the macs.
sorry i meant the "stock" mac y pipe lol.. my bad lost my thought there i guess..

im saying clearly there using the ends of the mac ypipe to bolt to the headers still.. only other way i know to do that would be to put a flange on the end of the mac headers...
Old 12-26-2004, 07:25 PM
11 Second Club

i think i might want to use the 2.5 ends of the mac y and then cut it off about 6 inches or so back, just to where it levels off under the car on either side, then do a 2.5-3inch connect and run a 3 inch x pipe
Old 12-26-2004, 07:37 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

you dont need the ends of the mac Y pipe, 2.5" ball flanges can be had from any parts store. the mac colllectors already have a ball flange as well.

what i would do though is cut the ball flanges off the collector (which is a restriction anyway), and then just run a complete 3" dual setup off the 3" collector.
Old 12-26-2004, 07:40 PM
11 Second Club

hmm.. id prolly have to get somone to do that, dont know if my dad is going to hook it up for me.. back when i was 17 he forced me to get the b&b catback.. now im almost 20 and where i dont rely on him for advice on mods, he does help install mods, and is the only one of the two of us, with a welder, or that can weld lol. now he believes for some insane reason that if i run duals, the exhuast will come up in the car possibly cuasing me to black out and die. i dont think this is really his problem though, considering i ran a cutout for the last year! i think hes just stubborn about that damn catback! so how much do u think an exhuast shop would charge to completely hook everything up for me? gimme a ballpark figure so i dont get ripped off!
Old 12-26-2004, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

What kinda power gains would you get out of a set of Lanes compared to say a ORY and Borla and whats the price on Lanes for Macs?
BTLFEDSS
Old 12-26-2004, 07:46 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Originally Posted by ZMC_Racing
hmm.. id prolly have to get somone to do that, dont know if my dad is going to hook it up for me.. back when i was 17 he forced me to get the b&b catback.. now im almost 20 and where i dont rely on him for advice on mods, he does help install mods, and is the only one of the two of us, with a welder, or that can weld lol. now he believes for some insane reason that if i run duals, the exhuast will come up in the car possibly cuasing me to black out and die. i dont think this is really his problem though, considering i ran a cutout for the last year! i think hes just stubborn about that damn catback! so how much do u think an exhuast shop would charge to completely hook everything up for me? gimme a ballpark figure so i dont get ripped off!
you mean drive up and have them do a completete dual dumped setup? i'd say ~350. its pretty basic work (for them) and piping isnt all that expensive. hell, the TSP 3" completely mandrel bent system is slighly over 400 so i'd use that as a ball park. lanes chargeds ~450 as well for a complete mandrel bent custom to your car.
Old 12-26-2004, 07:47 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Originally Posted by BTLFEDSS
What kinda power gains would you get out of a set of Lanes compared to say a ORY and Borla and whats the price on Lanes for Macs?
BTLFEDSS
i'd wager ~10rwhp at peak and a very healthy under the curve gain.
Old 12-26-2004, 08:04 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by jrp
i'd wager ~10rwhp at peak and a very healthy under the curve gain.

yes and it wont be loud and raspy like my open cutout on the end of the mac y pipe, nor stock sounding like my crappy B&B
Old 12-26-2004, 09:34 PM
11 Second Club

how about running the headers and cutting the mac ypipe off where it curves under the car and flattens out after about 8 inches nad running bullets...????? my buddy's bolton car is running this exact setup going 7.15/11.30 with the stock ls1 intake! so im not worried about the power it will or wont make...

im wondering.. will the two bullets do anything to quiet down either side???
Attached Thumbnails neone running duals off mac mids.. how are u doing it?-untitled.jpg  
Old 12-26-2004, 09:40 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

whats the clearance on that though? and are you talking about running 4 bulllets or just two off the collector?
Old 12-26-2004, 09:59 PM
11 Second Club

2... but not right off the collector... u have the collector and then about 8 inches of y pipe on either side coming down to where it flattens out on either side, becomes level witht he underside of the car.. get what im saying? dont know how to explian it... then have one bullet on each side!
Old 12-26-2004, 10:25 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

i get what your saying, what im saying is whats the clearance there though and how are you going to angle it. you only have so much room and space to work with (in front of the tunnel brace)
Old 12-26-2004, 10:26 PM
11 Second Club

well i dunno then..t he whole idea is to go cheap here without having it affect the performance of the car! for example buying the used mac headers and y pie for 250.. i figure i can save a lot of weight if i just buy bullets and convert the y into an x... over the catback!
Old 12-26-2004, 10:28 PM
11 Second Club

i would probably fit the bullets in fine... im thinking cut it at the top of the ypipe on either side..and moutn the bullets where the ypipe continues.... kinda in the " l " part of the why on either side.. running 12 inch bullets 2.5 inch wide bullets