Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ASP pulley question? Need both or 1?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2005, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default ASP pulley question? Need both or 1?

Just wondering whether i should get an ASP crank pulley and an alternator pulley? Or just get a Crank pulley since i do a lot of city driving and might not keep the battery charged enough stopping and going, starting and turning off a lot.. I also have an A4 if that makes a difference.. How much power have people seen with just the crank pulley? Or would i be better off not doing either because the power gains would be too small without the alternator pulley? I need any opinions! i've done quite a bit of searching! Thanks guys!
Old 01-01-2005, 03:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

atleast get the crank pulley....the alt pulley is not worth it IMO and many others as well......I dunno how much power you will pick up on the dyno but you should see a solid 1/10th at the track with it.....worth the money IMO...I have one and love it no problems as do many others on this site. Hope that helps
Old 01-01-2005, 03:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did only the crank pulley on my 2000 trans-am with a auto. It seemed to rev a little quicker but to be honest I wasn't really that happy. So far I am not going to put one on my 2002 Z-28. Maybe it would make a differance if it was both pullies but I was told over at thunder racing by a sales rep that I could have charging problems so I only went with the crank pulley. Hope that helps a little.
Old 01-01-2005, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

well i'll probabal yjust go with the crank pulley then.. i heard your engine revs faster and most people say about a .1 gain.. so i guess its worth it! haha thanks for the quick replies guys! thanks
Old 01-01-2005, 03:38 PM
TECH Addict

i have heard that UD pulleys unbalance the motor is that true? just wondering if i should buy one before i do my cam install.
Old 01-01-2005, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

i heard they are good to do with a cam install.. not sure why.. but i heard it makes the engine rev fasters.. some say it makes them rev like a race car in a way.. but thats just going from what i've heard..
Old 01-01-2005, 09:57 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2000Hawk
i have heard that UD pulleys unbalance the motor is that true? just wondering if i should buy one before i do my cam install.
I installed my ASP not long ago & have run my engine to 6k a lot. No vibration. I believe in using the ASP but I have no hard data. It takes considerable power to run the power steering, water pump, alternator, & a/c. By installing the ASP you are spinning these at a slower speed. It has to improve performance there's no way it can't.