Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

important exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 12:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default important exhaust question

I am preparing to purchase and install Stainless Works Long tube headers, and Texas Speed true duals. I am wondering if the true duals come with a premade spot to hook up o2 sensors? I am also going to purchase HP tuners and I am wondering if I will even need to hook up the o2 sensors since I will have the tuner. I have read that o2 sensors play a part in the computers adjustment of the a/f ratio, can the computer be made to supply the correct a/f ratio, without the o2 sensor system intact? Correct me if i am wrong, but i am guessing that Non-emissions headers have no spot for o2 sensors to be hooked up.

My main question is whether I need to buy headers that will allow me to hook up o2 sensors, or if it will be possible to bypass and disconect the o2 sensors all together with hp tuners? if so, how difficult is this to do for someone will no tuning experience? Just so it is known, i am also planning to !egr and !air at the time of installation as well, but as I understand it, hp tuners can take care of the codes that removing these systems will create.

thanks in advance for any info!
Old 01-07-2005, 12:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

The headers should come with bungs for the front o2 sensors. Emmissions free just means it does not have AIR or EGR fittings. The front o2s are integral to determining a/f ratio they must be there. As for the rears, with hptuners, you can set the computer to ignore that sensors code, search the pcm section for exactly which ones they are, pretty easy if you are familiar with the software. The same goes for the air and egr codes as well. And the true duals will not have any o2 bungs.
Old 01-07-2005, 12:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for the info! I am excited about getting long tubes on my baby, but i am trying to cover all my bases before i do. I appreciate the help!