Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ultra cool short belt alternator

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 12:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fairly OK belt tensioner but not really that great

OK, I can't post in the for sale section cause I'm a noob. Anyway, I'm going to take a chance here and throw this out simply because when I looked in here for an alternator only short belt solution I saw there was a need for something simple and cheap. So I made up this little bracket. It worked so well that I went and had enough parts laser cut to make 10 of them. Here's the laser cut version-

Name:  final2.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  97.1 KB

In this picture the stock cast aluminum bracket was modified buy cutting away the unused front lower leg, the mount on top for the idler pulley was also cut away. This is not required to use this bracket! I did that because this car will never run anything but the alternator and I wanted to make it look pretty. The only thing required is possibly a little wipe with a file in the area shown in the photo. If the lower leg is not cut off the stock cast aluminum bracket, there may not be enough clearance to put a bolt in through the adjuster and the rear leg of the bracket, if this is the case then just remove the stock cast aluminum bracket, put a stud in, put the stock cast aluminum bracket over the stud and use a nut.

This adjuster is installed on the bottom so the alternator will swing on the existing top bolt. When the alternator swings from the top bolt it moves away from the crank in a more direct manner as opposed to using the adjuster on the top bolt and letting the alt swing on the bottom bolt. It could be used on the top bolt but more clearance work will have to be done to the stock cast aluminum bracket to clear the adjuster. If a reverse rotation water pump was used, or if an electric pump such as the Meziere with the built in dummy pulley, then the belt could be looped over that pulley. In this configuration having the adjuster on top and letting the alt swing from the bottom would probably work just fine.

Some may be concerned that the alternator is not supported as rigidly with this adjuster as opposed to the stock factory setup. This is true, it is not supported as rigidly, but it doesn't matter. The reason it doesn't matter is there is little or no tension on the slack side of the belt when just the alternator is used by itself. When all accessories are driven by the crank, the alternator is the last device before the crank, everything else is upstream and the belt upstream of the alternator has the tension required to drive all of these devices. When these devices are used, they will put many times the force on the stock cast aluminum bracket than just driving the alternator will.

This thing could be installed at the drag strip and removed for the ride home.

** If you want to advertise here, please contact prostockjohn@hotmail.com or ynot_dv8@hotmail.com **

Last edited by SERPENT99; 01-11-2005 at 11:15 PM.
Old 01-11-2005, 02:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What about the water pump?
Old 01-11-2005, 02:44 PM
Staging Lane

Find a reverse rotation pump, use an electric pump, use an idler pulley to bring the belt over the pulley of the stock pump, whatever. This bracket was desigened to address a specific application but it could be adapted to other uses. I'd personally use a Meziere pump as it has a built in idler pulley so you could keep the stock belt routing. The idler on the meziere pump is exactly the same as the water pump pulley but it just freewheels. LS1 Cobra needs to market his reverse rotation pump, it would be a perfect match for my idler. But the best setup that I'm aware of for a short belt setup and the ability to go back to driving all the other stuff like the A/C is my adjuster and something like the Meziere pump. Electric pumps are where it's at.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about the back altenator mount?

IMO, just pull that bolt out and run a short belt. Same effect without special parts or electric water pumps.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:34 PM
Staging Lane

The back mount isn't really needed, read the 4th paragraph of the original post.

IMO, just pull that bolt out and run a short belt. Same effect without special parts or electric water pumps.
How would you tension the belt?
Old 01-11-2005, 08:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SERPENT99
The back mount isn't really needed, read the 4th paragraph of the original post.

How would you tension the belt?
umm.. with the stock tensioner
Old 01-11-2005, 09:02 PM
TECH Regular

If your going to use it for the drag strip, why not just take the belt off for the run if you have an electric water pump?
Old 01-11-2005, 09:16 PM
Staging Lane

you're loosing me here-

What about it?

IMO, just pull that bolt out and run a short belt.
I misunderstood, I thought you were talking about the bolt on the back alternator mount.

umm.. with the stock tensioner
You'd need to keep the idler too, yes? That's a cheap solution but you have a long *** belt wrapped around 5 things on the front of your motor. For XXX and the price of a merzerie water pump you can't beat the performance and flexibility of what I came up with. I like to get away from springs to tighten the belt and I like to keep the amount of spinning stuff down to a minimum when dealing with high performance applications. I'm offering this option to others for what I feel is a great price.

If you need one of my adjusters let me know, I still have a few left and I can make more.

Last edited by WILWAXU; 01-11-2005 at 09:27 PM.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:18 PM
Staging Lane

If your going to use it for the drag strip, why not just take the belt off for the run if you have an electric water pump?
Too much electronics on the car, I wouldn't run without an alternator. It's driven on the street a little too.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

you're loosing me here-

What about it?

I misunderstood, I thought you were talking about the bolt on the back alternator mount.

You'd need to keep the idler too, yes? That's a cheap solution but you have a long *** belt wrapped around 5 things on the front of your motor. For XXX and the price of a merzerie water pump you can't beat the performance and flexibility of what I came up with. I like to get away from springs to tighten the belt and I like to keep the amount of spinning stuff down to a minimum when dealing with high performance applications. I'm offering this option to others for what I feel is a great price.

If you need one of my adjusters let me know, I still have a few left and I can make more.
First of all.. keep pimping and I'll lock the post.

Secondly. Do you understand how a shortbelt is normally routed on one of these cars? Starting to think you don't.

Third. If you don't like the spring tensioner, you can buy a Katech adjuster from Thunder Racing.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought pulley on the meziere actually spun a fan that cools the electric motor (i may be wrong). You wouldn't want that turning backwards either.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:09 PM
Staging Lane

First of all.. keep pimping and I'll lock the post
I'm trying to answer your questions, what do you think I'm doing?

I come in here looking for an alternator only belt solution and didn't really find that much, so I try to come up with a solution and I think I came up with a good one. So I share my idea and see some interest, so I make some. You think I'm getting rich off these things? It's like this "bolt on director", I normally wouldn't work this cheap. Now I spend even more time answering questions that seemed a little antagonistic but I give you the benefit of the doubt and take the time to try to explain myself. Little did I know Mr. "bolt on director" was trying to set me up for the kill and save the entire LS1 community from the horrible money grubbing SERPENT99! Well screw me for trying to help.

Why all the song and dance? Why didn't you just do what you thought was right? Let's see... You couldn't trip me up and you must have realized you were actually helping me with your pointless jabs by bumping the thread! Doh!

The people who PP'd me $XX must be feeling so ripped off right now. I've been through this before, show a little more creativity and willingness to help than the resident forum **** is capable of doing and all of a sudden I'm a bad guy.

Secondly. Do you understand how a shortbelt is normally routed on one of these cars? Starting to think you don't.
You know something? I have never seen a short belt set up and I didn't have a clue about how it was set up. So I looked at the front of the motor and I just guessed. Can you believe it? How utterly reckless of me! Good thing we have forum ****'s huh? I'm not afraid of being wrong so I'll tell you what I guessed- from the crank to the tensioner, then under the water pump and over the stock idler (maybe replace it with a ribbed one), around the alt and back to the crank... ohh it's rubbing the bolt on the bottom of the alt bracket! no prob, take it out!

Oh ohhh oh oh please don't tell me I'm wrong? Why did you think I didn't know what I was talking about?

Third. If you don't like the spring tensioner, you can buy a Katech adjuster from Thunder Racing.
I see... the trail always leads back to the green. It's cool dude, you don't have to go through all that trouble and BS! Just tell me you're worried your sponsor may get pissed if they see threads like mine. Why don't you just ban everyone who doesn't solve a problem with buying some bolt on stuff from your sponsors? Not easy to decide where to draw the line is it? I sure as hell wasn't going to play into your game, I understand, but sorry, that's not the way I work.

Now you can go ahead and lock this thread, I don't really care, but before you do tell me 2 things- Why do I feel like I just owned your ***, and.... did I get the short belt right?

Lock?... Better delete it before anyone realizes what an *** you made of yourself. And learn to spell

Last edited by XLR8NSS; 01-12-2005 at 04:07 PM.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:10 PM
Staging Lane

Meziere said the fan wasn't that important, they even offered to remove the pulley for me if I returned it.
Old 01-12-2005, 04:10 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

Serpent , you're a brave man . Wilwaxu is going easy on you. I'm not affiliated with this site in any way , and the website I'm an admin on takes the same view. Sorry if you feel we're "*****", we're not .
Old 01-12-2005, 05:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Wow.. You sure do like to type..

I'm trying to answer your questions, what do you think I'm doing?
Advertise a product. IMO an ill conceived one at that.

I come in here looking for an alternator only belt solution and didn't really find that much, so I try to come up with a solution and I think I came up with a good one. So I share my idea and see some interest
And if you had left it at that, none of your posts ever would have been edited. Unfortunately you went into a complete paragraph on shipping, paypal etc..(advertising)

, so I make some. You think I'm getting rich off these things? It's like this "bolt on director", I normally wouldn't work this cheap. Now I spend even more time answering questions that seemed a little antagonistic but I give you the benefit of the doubt and take the time to try to explain myself. Little did I know Mr. "bolt on director" was trying to set me up for the kill and save the entire LS1 community from the horrible money grubbing SERPENT99! Well screw me for trying to help.
Please, don't let any of us mere mortals take up any more of your precious time.

Why all the song and dance? Why didn't you just do what you thought was right? Let's see... You couldn't trip me up and you must have realized you were actually helping me with your pointless jabs by bumping the thread! Doh!
Jabs? No, just pointing out the errors in your design. IMO, you still haven't answered why some one would spend $350 just to use your $$ part. Especially, when there is a no cost option that has been proven to work.

The people who PP'd me XXX must be feeling so ripped off right now. I've been through this before, show a little more creativity and willingness to help than the resident forum **** is capable of doing and all of a sudden I'm a bad guy.
If you cutout all the "song and dance" routine about trying to sell your part, yes, some of it is technical related. Hence the reason I didn't delete the entire first post from the start
You know something? I have never seen a short belt set up and I didn't have a clue about how it was set up.
LMAO, I had no doubts about that

So I looked at the front of the motor and I just guessed. Can you believe it? How utterly reckless of me!
Hehe.. Aren't you the one that missed the part about turning your water pump backwards?

Good thing we have forum ****'s huh? I'm not afraid of being wrong so I'll tell you what I guessed- from the crank to the tensioner, then under the water pump and over the stock idler (maybe replace it with a ribbed one), around the alt and back to the crank... ohh it's rubbing the bolt on the bottom of the alt bracket! no prob, take it out!

Oh ohhh oh oh please don't tell me I'm wrong? Why did you think I didn't know what I was talking about?
See my last comment

I see... the trail always leads back to the green. It's cool dude, you don't have to go through all that trouble and BS! Just tell me you're worried your sponsor may get pissed if they see threads like mine. Why don't you just ban everyone who doesn't solve a problem with buying some bolt on stuff from your sponsors? Not easy to decide where to draw the line is it? I sure as hell wasn't going to play into your game, I understand, but sorry, that's not the way I work.
Actually it doesn't. You can run a short belt for no more green than you spend at a local parts store on a 52" belt. I only mentioned a Katech tensioner because you stated you didn't care for stock spring one.

Now you can go ahead and lock this thread, I don't really care, but before you do tell me 2 things- Why do I feel like I just owned your ***, and.... did I get the short belt right?
Lock this? Naah, it's starting to get funny.

Lock?... Better delete it before anyone realizes what an *** you made of yourself. And learn to spell
Only *** I see is the one that can't stay on subject.

If this thread does get locked, it won't be due to any names you call me. It will be do to you posting $$$, contact information (advertising) or if your posts continue wonder off subject.

Keep it to a technical discussion, it won't be closed.

People here are trying to give you some constructive criticism, if you can't take that, then maybe this isn't the place for you.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

I see what he's saying. He wants to run a VERY short belt (like 24" or so, right?). From the crank to the alternator, and that's it. I've been looking for something like this too. I've got a Mez EWP and a manual rack, so there's no need to run a "longer" short belt. What belt are you running with this setup? Right now, I'm running the longer short belt with the Katech tensioner, but I'd love to run a very short belt alternator-only setup. $XX is pretty cheap, since it'd take me a couple hours to replicate that and not be all that nice looking.

Last edited by XLR8NSS; 01-12-2005 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Camaroholic
I see what he's saying. He wants to run a VERY short belt (like 24" or so, right?). From the crank to the alternator, and that's it. I've been looking for something like this too. I've got a Mez EWP and a manual rack, so there's no need to run a "longer" short belt. What belt are you running with this setup? Right now, I'm running the longer short belt with the Katech tensioner, but I'd love to run a very short belt alternator-only setup. $18 is pretty cheap, since it'd take me a couple hours to replicate that and not be all that nice looking.
Yup, no doubt there are uses for the bracket, in some setups.

Hopefully he can come back here and discuss the bracket without the salesman/bashing routine.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:30 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,226 Likes on 782 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Let's all try to get along, but also respect the rules of the forums. This is not a sales forum, but your idea is good for folks who want to manually tension the alternator like an old school SBC. My relo'd alternator setup works kind of like that, I have my alternator moved to where it is on an LT1.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:26 AM
Staging Lane

Let me reply to what little you chose to comment on.

Wow.. You sure do like to type..
Typing is easy and I like to defend myself.

Advertise a product. IMO an ill conceived one at that.
I'll conceived? It works just fine for what it's meant for and I'm sure it has other uses. People are buying it.

And if you had left it at that, none of your posts ever would have been edited. Unfortunately you went into a complete paragraph on shipping, paypal etc..(advertising)
If that was the problem, why didn't you just say so instead of picking at me the same way the monkey picks his *** at the zoo.

Please, don't let any of us mere mortals take up any more of your precious time.
This mortal doesn't mind having someone take up his time, wasting my time is not allowed.

Jabs? No, just pointing out the errors in your design. IMO, you still haven't answered why some one would spend $350 just to use your $$ part. Especially, when there is a no cost option that has been proven to work.
It's all about enhancing a $350 part with a $(CENSORED) part. The people who bought one understood what it was for, you probably missed it, finding another option to solve a belt setup problem was not your agenda.

LMAO, I had no doubts about that
Did I get it right?

Hehe.. Aren't you the one that missed the part about turning your water pump backwards?
No, you're confused.

See my last comment
See mine.

Actually it doesn't. You can run a short belt for no more green than you spend at a local parts store on a 52" belt. I only mentioned a Katech tensioner because you stated you didn't care for stock spring one.
My point is, you were concerned about me advertising here but instead of saying that right away, you just sifted through everything I wrote trying to find something to bash me about. You didn't do a very good job.

Lock this? Naah, it's starting to get funny.
I agree.

Only *** I see is the one that can't stay on subject.
What is the subject here? Is my design faulty? Is it you bitching about my design when it's advertising that's bothering you? You're the only one who's insisting there's something dreadfully wrong with it. Others voiced a few concerns and seemed to be happy with my explanation.

I can take constructive criticism, it's the hidden agenda's that I have no time for.

Now just tell me how you run your short belt setup, how does it compare to what I guessed and maybe we can all learn something here. Then tell me what's so horrible about my idea in a technical manner and I'll try to explain.

Serpent , you're a brave man
I'm not brave badjuju, I'm just tired of people like wilwaxu. If he was concerned about me advertising then he should have just said so, but instead he comes in here and looks right past what I'm trying to offer and try's to find something wrong with it. If that's what you do on your forum then you should be sorry. I hope this isn't the case. My adjuster is an excellent solution for an alternator only setup. I did it to try to give something to the forum. And what do I get? Some snot nosed mod tripping over his dick. F me for trying to be helpful. I didn't do this for the money, I did it to try to be helpful and gain some respect, like I said before, I usually don't work this cheap. When I look at my time invested I'll break even after I sell the 10 I have. Then maybe I'd be talking to LS1tech about advertising. Hopefully it will come to that and hopefully people who are a little higher up the food chain here at LS1tech are a little more receptive and business like than wilwaxu.

$XX is pretty cheap, since it'd take me a couple hours to replicate that and not be all that nice looking.
exactly Camaroholic, thanks for your appreciation. I'll send you one for free as long as you post a picture here of it installed. PM me

Last edited by XLR8NSS; 01-12-2005 at 04:13 PM.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:17 PM
Teching In

serpent99, this post just reminded me why i don't share any ideas on these boards. you know my car, my fab shop and have seen tons of stuff i made for f-body cars. what you wont see is me posting them here cause even if you have the intentions of helping board members while covering some cost #1 you'll get harrassed for not being a vendor and #2 you'll get a hundred reason why your idea sucks. forget that you have one one the fastest f-bods around. bench racers rule.

Quick Reply: ultra cool short belt alternator