Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Output Alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 08:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default High Output Alternator?

I have a 02 WS6 and I am going to install the March pullies. And I have two twelve inch subs with a kenwood 1000 watt amp. Would it hurt to get a 200 Amp altornator it supplies 110 amps at 800 rpm's. Also if I get the altornator should I get the March pully for it
Old 01-24-2005, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would look to get the alternator upgraded. My system does not draw as much current as yours and my lights dim at night when the stereo is going. If you have that much current at 800 rpm with the 200 Amp Alt, then you should be fine. Are you have the alternator reworked locally or are you buying form a vendor?
Old 01-25-2005, 04:15 PM
TECH Addict

I could be wrong, but I think there is a truck LS alternator that is higher output that can be used. I know when I bought mine from the auto parts store they sold a high-output upgrade that was not that much more money. I run the March pulley without the alternator overdrive with no problems. Another thing you can do is raise your idle. With a cam you usually raise your idle 100 rpms, and that is about 12%. It makes up for some of the difference.
Old 01-25-2005, 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'd do what Another_user did and get the truck alternator, its around 140-150amps. The high output alternators don't come with a lifetime warrenty and sometimes put out even less amps at idle than a stock, this is do to an overly large coil to create high output in a stock sized case, but is very week untill a strong magnetic field is produced.
Old 01-25-2005, 05:08 PM
TECH Regular

The alt I am going to get is a Load Boss from alterstart. Running the overdrive pully on it shouldent be a problome right? And who sells the march kit with both pullies ?

Quick Reply: High Output Alternator?