Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Muffler replacement vs. Catback

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 10:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Muffler replacement vs. Catback

I'm sure this has probably been covered at some point, but I couldn't find it, so it may be time for an update anyway.

I've been wanting to upgrade my exhaust. I plan on doing headers at some point but not right now. I've been thinking about going with a GMMG or Corsa (leaning towards GMMG), but on Friday I went to the local car show, and a guy there had swapped out his muffler with a Magnaflow. It sounded pretty good (especially for the price).

I want a LOUD, but mainly deep and throaty tone, and I don't want to have any rasp. The stock catback on my 2002 SS seems like it would flow pretty much the same as any catback on the market, with exception of the muffler. How does a muffler swap perform in comparison to a catback replacement? Which mufflers would be the best flowing, while producing a LOUD and deep tone, without producing rasp, even after putting on LTs at some point in the future? I'm looking for cost efficiency, but don't want to skimp now just to spend more in the future.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you like the sound of the magna flows, you would love the hooker cat back. Flows really well. But, i will flat out say it, if your getting headers coming soon, go with true duals. Get that real deap tone.
Old 01-26-2005, 05:28 PM
TECH Resident

...if your getting headers coming soon, go with true duals.
Thanks, but like I said, I plan on getting headers, but probably not for a while. Can anyone tell me what kind of power/torque increases, if any I'd see from a new muffler on the stock catback?
Old 01-26-2005, 05:58 PM
TECH Regular

I have LT, ORY, stock I pipe with the Hooker replacement. It is pretty loud, although I have rasp between 1900-2400RPM. With stock manifolds and cats the muffler was deaper sounding and a little louder, I liked that set up. I don't really like the way the car sounds now. I have read the complete Hooker cat back does not have rasp, but TD are not to much more. I will probably get some TD with some semi quite mufflers (new tsp's?).
Old 01-26-2005, 07:10 PM
11 Second Club

my brother had a flowmaster muffler on his 00 ta then put on a loudmouth catback and there was a huge difference